Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about the variables

Hi all,

I received Fitbit data that was exported using complicated programming language that I don't know, but while looking at it, I came up with few questions about the variable I see:

1. As for the variable "sleep : timeInBed" in the sleep log list, what is the equation to get this value?

According to the data I have, thought it was: "sleep : minutesAsleep + sleep : minutesAfterWakeup + Restless duration + Awake duration". But seems this is not correct - I calculated and checked that most of the values in my data follow this equation but there are few that do not match.

2. I also have the distance variable: "activities : distance". I checked the description that says "distance traveled during the exercise". My questions is, what is the unit of the distance value? Is it in kilometers? meters?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Hi @jireh7 

1. We don't share our algorithms. However, looking at my data I believe "minutesAsleep + minutesAwake + minutesToFallAsleep = timeInBed"

2. The units is determine at the time the data was pulled. If you're not sure, it's possibly metric units. See https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/developer-guide/application-design/#Unit-Systems

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer