Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give us an API-call or IFTTT-action for vibration and one to display text

at least vibration.. I have a device on my wrist that obviously can do this, and I think you are really underestimating the enormous utility you would provide us users by releasing this already. It's probably your most asked for feature, but instead you seem to focus on new ways to export/sell our data. Yes we want to integrate that way too, but primarily we first want to be able to utilize the piece of kit we bought from you sitting on our wrists.

Please make a statement about when you will deliver these functions for integration purposes. Or tell us you won't! I for one am about three weeks from giving my business to somebody else. Give us an answer at least. Even a "Never" is a lot better than your standard "maybe in the future" at this point. Throw us a bone..
Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Thank you for being part of the Community @Lunkan! Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. I moved your post to a relevant board where you can submit this idea. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lunkan For vibration you could just set an alarm via the API. But the problem is that since the Fitbit only syncs occasionally, normally ~15 minutes when within the range of a dongle or phone with all-day sync set, the actions would likely be delayed. And for people that only sync once or twice a day this feature wouldn't be very useful. (So I doubt that they will implement it.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all,

I am interested in developing couple of apps to interact with the fitbit.

In concrete, I would like to acess to the vibration directly from the phone, without sync, the same way that a phone call can do it.

Any plan to give access to that functionallity? 

Best Answer

Second that. Vibration feature request!

For now this can be achieved indirectly by instructing IFTTT to make a phone call or send a text - both of which can trigger vibrations on the Fitbit. Unfortunately the phone calls can be a bit delayed at times. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

we also look for that..

The "phone call" API seems not public,so we tried the "Add Alarm" out of our own backend app (not located on mobile) with a alarm time in near future as mentioned before but with the lack of functionality to trigger a device sync. (@)

We understand that giving API device/sync endpoint for everybody, the tracker's battery power could drain totally uncontrolled and end-users definitely will start complaining about battery lifetime.

But without that, it's totally unpredictable when the alarm definition will be pushed to the tracker. We can poll with get alarm and see if syncedWithDevice=true (and if not, prolong the alarm time by update alarm and hope fitbit app will sync sometimes) but better would be to have instant notification access.

What is also sad is the fact that a tracker alarm has a label=Text, but the text is not shown as text on tracker. For this, there are many (pretty old) feature requests to give a option to display text.

For me, the alarm would a perfect location to allow API users to display text withing a predictable timeframe, e.g. fitbit server could check alarm time and current time and see when a device sync needs to be done to reach a alarm pushdown in time.

The enduser may have a preference setting to control the externally triggered (by alarm definition) sync behaviour to get control over his battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes