Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to register a mobile app?

ANSWERED

Hello,

I am developing an iOS app which should connect to the Fitbit web api. I am not sure how to register my app correctly, because there is no option for mobile apps at the type section in the registering form. 

Which is the best option browser or desktop?

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@DavidNemeth wrote:

So use browser as Oauth1 and Client for Oauth2? As I see both of these options must be selected when registering an app.

Heres the tooltip for OAuth 1.0 application type:

"Does your application run in a Web Browser or is it a Desktop application? Choosing Desktop will set up the Out of Band (PIN-based) OAuth workflow for your application"

Choosing Desktop will utilize the PIN flow which means the user will need to type the final PIN into your app to complete the authorization. Whereas selecting Browser will use the callback/redirect_uri to complete the authorization.

Heres the tooltip for OAuth 2.0 application type:

"Server applications are restricted to the OAuth 2.0 authorization code grant flow. Client applications may use the authorization code grant flow and the implicit grant flow. See documentation for more information."

If you select Server, you will only be able to use the Authorization Code grant flow. If you select Client, you will have access to both Authorization Code and Implicit grant flow.

Keep in mind you can change these 2 settings on your application at anytime, so don't worry too much about picking the wrong one. If you end up needing the other selection, you can easily go back in to edit your app on https://dev.fitbit.com and change it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

For OAuth 1.0 Application Type, select Browser. The Desktop option triggers the PIN based workflow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I would like to develop for Oauth2, to avoid later migrating from 1.0 to 2. Should I use the same option for Oauth2?

Best Answer
0 Votes

For OAuth 2.0, use 'Client'.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So use browser as Oauth1 and Client for Oauth2? As I see both of these options must be selected when registering an app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DavidNemeth wrote:

Heres the tooltip for OAuth 1.0 application type:

"Does your application run in a Web Browser or is it a Desktop application? Choosing Desktop will set up the Out of Band (PIN-based) OAuth workflow for your application"

Choosing Desktop will utilize the PIN flow which means the user will need to type the final PIN into your app to complete the authorization. Whereas selecting Browser will use the callback/redirect_uri to complete the authorization.

Heres the tooltip for OAuth 2.0 application type:

"Server applications are restricted to the OAuth 2.0 authorization code grant flow. Client applications may use the authorization code grant flow and the implicit grant flow. See documentation for more information."

If you select Server, you will only be able to use the Authorization Code grant flow. If you select Client, you will have access to both Authorization Code and Implicit grant flow.

Keep in mind you can change these 2 settings on your application at anytime, so don't worry too much about picking the wrong one. If you end up needing the other selection, you can easily go back in to edit your app on https://dev.fitbit.com and change it.

Best Answer