Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't open the tcx file.

1) I downloaded the fitbit GPS data as a TCX file.
And I checked the file through "Garmin Training Center progam", but I got a notification saying, "There are no activities, exercises, or courses in that file."
When you open the TCX file, it looks like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2">
<Activities>
<Activity Sport="Other">
<Id>2022-MM-DDT23:47:33.000+09:00</Id>
<Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UnitId>0</UnitId>
<ProductID>0</ProductID>
</Creator>
</Activity>
</Activities>
</TrainingCenterDatabase>

Is there a program to open TCX files on a PC or phone?

And the TCX file is displayed as an image, can I download latitude and longitude as numbers like the image below?

jyunny_0-1672882731039.png

2) We want to download about five people's data at once, so is there any way to set up something like "Administrator rights"?
Can we automatically upload their fitbit data by linking it with the database?

3) Also, do you only have the "Export Archive" function to check detailed data such as heart rate?
"Export Archive" takes too much time. Is there any way to download the data a little faster?

4) Heart rate data is extracted in every minutes.
Is there a way to know the average heart rate, not in every minutes?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

A .tcx file is XML format. If you append .xml to the filename (after .tcx), it may open in your web browser. You can also open it using any text editor (like .txt).

That's probably not what you mean, though. You probably want to parse the file to reformat the data into a table. That needs more work.

If you use the Web API (intraday data), you can get heart rate readings for every few seconds. You can then determine the average yourself, between whatever time stamps you like. I don't think an average is very useful though, because low HR is good when resting, but high HR is good because it shows exertion while exercising.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

First of all, I need a program that can open the tcx file.

Not open in 'garmin training center' program.

s there any other program that can open the tcx file?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @jyunny 

1. As @Gondwana mentioned, the TCX data is just XML written as plain text.   You should be able to open the file using any text editor.  Since the data is plain text, you should be able to export the longitude and latitude values.

2. You can only extract Fitbit user data 1 API call at the time.   We don't have a bulk export feature for the Web APIs.  To import the data into a database, you'll need a tool that can call the API endpoint, read the json response and push the data into your database.  If you can't find one, you should be able to build a script or program that does this.

3. The recommend method for extracted other user's Fitbit data is to use the Fitbit Web API, not the data export functionality.  This should be faster than the data export because you're only retrieving the data that you need.

4. To get a user's daily average heart rate, use the Get Heart Rate Time Series endpoint.  Otherwise, you can sum the heart rate values per minute and calculate the average yourself.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes