Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intraday API returning minute-to-minute bpm data when not wearing Fitbit device

Hi @JohnFitbit 

Copy-and-pasted my reply to you in this topic. Starting new topic because other one is marked 'answered', and thus you may not actively monitoring. Apologies for the redundancy.

The Intraday API returned Activity (steps) and HR (exercise zones and bpm) data when I was expecting it to return nothing. Recap of events that led to that expectation: Didn't wear device (Luxe) at all for an entire day, but I did move it -- put in backpack, put in trunk of car, drove 500+ miles, removed from backpack, put on shelf. No did my skin make contact with sensor surface on bottom of device while handling.

I subsequently learned that bumpy roads can generate step activity and that "default heart-rate zones are calculated using your estimated maximum heart rate. Fitbit calculates your maximum heart rate with the common formula of 220 minus your age." Those seem to explain why Intraday API returned Activity (steps) and HR (exercise zones) data, though would appreciate you responding with corrections or further elaboration.

However, I'm completely stumped as to why Intraday API returned HR (bpm) data when considering:

• Timestamps for bmp records occurred while I definitely wasn't wearing device
  • Fitbit app displays null value for resting heart rate figure (see screenshot below)

Screenshot-of-resting-hr.png

My working theory is that Fitbit backfills missing bpm data with bmp figures drawn from my historical average or some common formula for each exercise zone. Can you confirm, deny or otherwise weigh-in here?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @bklounge,

The Web API is going to return the data that is collected by the device and stored in the cloud.  The Luxe device team will be able to investigate why the device collected steps and heart rate when you were not wearing the device.  I am puzzled why there is large variations in heart rate displayed in the mobile app.  I would expect if heart rate was estimated by using the activity data, the heart rate graph would be more flat.   Resting Heart Rate is typically recorded while sleeping or when the user is at rest.   If neither of these things happened, RHR would not be calculated.   See Resting Heart Rate.

In the meantime, I'm going to transfer your post to the Luxe team to see if they can explain why activity and heart rate were recorded when you were not wearing the device.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer

Hi @GordonFitbit appreciate the quick response!

Best Answer
0 Votes