Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to download the daily steps of my friends

Greetings.  I'm good at writing Excel macros.  Is it possible to write an Excel macro to automate the process of downloading the daily steps of my Fitbit Friends? 

If I access my dashboard I can see their daily steps via their step graph.  However, I have to hover my mouse over the bar graph to see how many steps they had each day.  If i access the HTML code, the steps aren't listed anywhere on the page. 

What I'd like to do is write a macro to parse the HTML data, of each friend, (which I can do) and thus download the steps of everyone automatically.  But I can't do that if the step count doesn't appear in the HTML code.  Any work-around?

We are having a contest at work and my "Friends" are my 40 or so co-workers.  It is time-consuming to pull up everyone and record their daily steps each week.  I want to automate that process, if possible.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@edwardcollins wrote:

Is it possible to write an Excel macro to automate the process of downloading the daily steps of my Fitbit Friends?

Not that I am aware of, but if you open the Fitbit.com Dashboard, Settings, Data Export, Activities, then select the time period, you can download an XLS spreadsheet that will include the steps for each day within the date range you specified.

Best Answer

But that answer only applies to MY steps, correct?  Not to my 40 Fitbit Friends.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes it would be possible. Your spreadsheet will need to access fitbits API and each of your 40 friends will need to give your spreadsheet access of their account 

Please read the FAQ

I'm going to move the post to the API board. 

Best Answer

Hi @edwardcollins

The Web APIs will allow you to download your friend's data.  Any macro you build would need to support OAuth 2.0.  Through OAuth 2.0, your friends would authorize access of their Fitbit data to your application.  Once you have authorization, you can use the Activities endpoint to retrieve their data and populate your spreadsheet.

I haven't tested it, but I found this sample code through a internet search that might help: https://github.com/PVermeer/Fitbit-ExcelQuery.  To query your friend's data, you will need to change the application from "personal" to either "client" or "server".  If you need support with the sample code, reach out to the developer.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer