Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Application using web api

ANSWERED

Hi hello. 

I would like to build a mobile and web application by accessing data from fitbit trackers. Is it possible the system could work in a way where by accessing data from fitbit tracker then display on mobile apps then access the data from mobile to view on web application as well. 

There are some answers saying that one can build an application using fitbit api. But for me its not clear whether can only build mobile or web application. Hope some can help me to clarify this matter.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Divyakona 

1. Yes, the Inspire 2 can be used with the Fitbit Web APIs.   The Web APIs support all of Fitbit's activity devices.

2. Anyone can use the Fitbit Web APIs to develop a mobile or web application as long as they abide by the platform terms of service.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Divyakona,

Welcome to the forums!

There are two ways you can approach this:

• Web API: The Web API is a REST API, which means that the data you request must first be synced to the Fitbit mobile application before the data can be accessed through the Web API. For example, the Fitbit user records a run with their Fitbit device, then they sync the activity to the Fitbit app. Once synced, you can use the a GET Activity endpoint to pull that data into your application.
  • Device SDK/Device API/Companion API: If your target users own a Fitbit Smartwatch (Ionic, Versa, Sense), you can pull real-time data directly off the device using a combination of the Device SDK, Companion API, and Device API. The Companion API will reside within the Fitbit App Gallery and as an application on the smartwatch, where the data will be fed through. For additional support through these methods, please refer to the Device SDK Community Forums.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer

Wow, thank you so much for your explanation. 

I have another question. Can I use fitbit inspire 2 for my system? Or without an device also the application(personally developed system) can work?

Best Answer

Apart from that, anyone can develop a mobile application and a web application using fitbit API(s) available right? 

Best Answer

Hi @Divyakona 

1. Yes, the Inspire 2 can be used with the Fitbit Web APIs.   The Web APIs support all of Fitbit's activity devices.

2. Anyone can use the Fitbit Web APIs to develop a mobile or web application as long as they abide by the platform terms of service.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer

@GordonFitbit Thank you so much for clarifying my doubts. 

Best Answer

Does the Fitbit Web APIs also work for the Inspire 3?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WijlensKim  Yes.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @Gondwana 

The Web APIs can be used to query data from all Fitbit device, current, past and mobile track.  The data returned will be based on the functionality of the device.

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes