Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal App + OAuth tokens

I want to access intra-day data via the API. However, when I register an app with the Application Type "Personal", I haven't been able to generate OAuth access tokens to access it successfully.

I have tried the interactive OAuth Tutorial page, which gives me an error saying "Developer information: unauthorized_client - A "Personal" application is only authorized to request access tokens from the owner of the application."  It all works without any problems when I set to the Application Type "Server" (but this doesn't give me the intra-day data). I have been using the python-fitbit library to interact with the API.

Could anyone give me any information or examples on how to authorise Personal apps, please?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@davkell You're seeing that error for "Personal" because you're requesting data for a user that isn't the app owner (needs to be the user/account that registered the app). I would double check what account you're requesting data for.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @AndrewFitbit.

Is there a way to generate the appropriate tokens for a Personal App using the interactive OAuth Tutorial? I'm not clear about how the authorisation flow works for a Personal app, as opposed to a Server app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@davkell For "Personal" app types, you can use Implicit Grant Flow or Authorization Code Flow, whereas "Server" type, you can only use Authorization Code Flow. You should be able to generate appropriate tokens using the tutorial, just make sure you're using the "app owner" account when you're using a "Personal" app type.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The app you're trying to connect did not provide valid information to Fitbit. Please report this issue to them.

Developer information: unauthorized_client - The client is not authorized to request an access token using this method

Why am I getting this for Implicit Grant Flow? I'm trying to build an app to access HR from my device? Thanks for your response in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @ShreeTya,

I'm sorry to hear that you are running into this error. So that I can investigate, can you please private message me your Client ID?

Also, let me know the following information:

• Are running into this error before or after selecting the scopes in the authorization page?
  • Is your application set to 'Client' or 'Personal'?

I look forward to hearing from you. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best Answer

Hi @ShreeTya 

I have created case 31652382 to work with you through the authorization errors.  You can include the information requested by John in the case email I just sent you.

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer