Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially breaking change to Get Activities endpoint

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

EDIT: Please see the updated plan: Breaking changes to Get Activity Logs

Original post below.

—————

This is a planned behavior change for the Get Activities endpoint on the Fitbit API.

Current Behavior: The ‘activities’ array only contains activities a user has manually logged. Activities can be manually logged by users with the Fitbit website, Fitbit mobile apps, or a third-party application. These manually logged activities override tracker data with user reported values.

Breaking Change: The ‘activities’ array soon will include “activity records” from trackers. “Activity records” are created on Fitbit trackers and allow users to label a period of activity. More information on how to create activity records on devices can be found on Fitbit’s help site.

Unlike manually logged activities, activity records use tracker data instead of user reported values. Going forward, your application should not assume that activities returned in the ‘activities’ array represent user reported values.

We will announce the exact date of this change in this forum topic. If you have questions about this change, please reply here.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

Will there be a bicycling option in the Tracking Exercises pick list? It would be nice to have that as a choice along with walk, run, or hike.

Smile & Enjoy Life
Alice
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Muffins wrote:

Will there be a bicycling option in the Tracking Exercises pick list? It would be nice to have that as a choice along with walk, run, or hike.

@Muffins I agree, but this is unrelated to the Web API. Please use the Feature Request forum for non-Web API feature requests.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeremiahFitbit wrote:

Going forward, your application should not assume that activities returned in the ‘activities’ array represent user reported values.

@JeremiahFitbitCan to clarify. You say 'user reported values' but does that include activities recorded by third party apps, such as Runtastic, or created throught the API-Log-Activity endpoint?

Ionic & Aria, Blaze (retired), Alta (retired), Surge (retired), Charge HR (retired), One (retired), Classic (retired) | Microsoft Surface | Google Pixel 2XL Android FitBit App
Best Answer
0 Votes

@stuartma wrote:
Can to clarify. You say 'user reported values' but does that include activities recorded by third party apps, such as Runtastic, or created throught the API-Log-Activity endpoint?

@stuartma: Yes, any activity log created using the Log Activity endpoint (which the Fitbit apps and third-parties use) is considered user-reported data because it overrides data from Fitbit trackers with values specified.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeremiahFitbit, could you provide an example of what a json response will look like after this change?   I just want to make sure parsers continue to work.  

Thanks.

Best Answer

@retrophil: Not yet, but I will be able to closer to the release date. I will be update the above post when I have it.

Best Answer

@JeremiahFitbit Is there any chance that this upcoming change could be having any impact on the dashboard now? For example in this thread people are complaining that all of their activities are disappearing, but support says that they can still see them...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Michael: This is unrelated. Fitbit is experiencing intermittent API errors at the moment. http://status.fitbit.com/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Is there any update on this improvement to Get Activities? Having visibility into tracker-created activity records will be a huge boon to developers, but I'm concerned that this announcement was made 9 months ago and the endpoint is still returning only manually logged activities. An update on the team's progress would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Best Answer

@dpassera: This is still a planned feature.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im desperate for this endpoint to be updated aswell. 😞

See advanced Fitbit statistics and leaderboards at - https://bitstats.net
Best Answer

+1 to include tracker-created activity records

Best Answer

when will active this function? I am looking forward to it

Best Answer

Any ETA on this?

Best Answer

Hi

I think I have got this......... my records that are in activities are not in activity history and that will soon be rectified by an update?

However after trial and error, if I take my iphone it will add the activities into the activity history.

Which by default does that mean that the fit bit cannot do that alone?

And that we await the update otherwise we have to do this manually?

Best Answer
0 Votes

+1 for this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please see the updated plan: Breaking changes to Get Activity Logs

Best Answer
0 Votes