Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling data from fitbit device to external app

Hi,

I am very new to fitbit web api development so I apologize in advance. I am a little confused on when user interaction with fitbit app is required. 

I am trying to pull-in data from fitbit device to my app and extend it to generate actionable insights.

For me to get fitbit device data on a regular basis, does end-user (fitbit device owner) needs to be open fitbit app to synch up the data before I can access it. It feels like a clunky workflow if I have to ask user to go synch-up data with fitbit app and then we will get data in our app. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi @nid123,

The user doesn't need to go into the Fitbit app and manually sync their device.  The Fitbit app will need to be running in the background on the mobile device.  When the Fitbit device detects a bluetooth signal, it will automatically sync with the mobile app every 15 minutes. 

Also, check out the Subscription APIs.  When using the subscription APIs, we will send your application a webhook notification telling your application your user has new data to be retrieved.  

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes