Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Methods for Gathering HRV, Respiration Rate, and Skin Temperature Data Outside of Nighttim

ANSWERED

Please teach me how to use the DeviceAPI to gather HRV, respiration rate, and skin temperature data even outside of nighttime.

I'm in the process of creating an application that gathers vital information during daytime desk work and delivers messages through notifications.

From what I can tell from the references, HRV, respiration rate, and skin temperature are only gathered during nighttime at rest. But, during daytime desk work and driving, the state is close to rest, so wouldn't it be possible to collect these data?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @bobobo0708 - you can't get this real time - Example: HRV and Respiration are a calculated value for a night. However the watch does record HRV every 5 minutes and Wrist temperature every minute.

You can get this information from the account only after the watch has been synced to upload it.

Have a look at the data export Request Data information to see what is available from the account, and when [most is under the sleep folder].

I have moved your post to the Web Api forum in case there are better answers.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @bobobo0708 - you can't get this real time - Example: HRV and Respiration are a calculated value for a night. However the watch does record HRV every 5 minutes and Wrist temperature every minute.

You can get this information from the account only after the watch has been synced to upload it.

Have a look at the data export Request Data information to see what is available from the account, and when [most is under the sleep folder].

I have moved your post to the Web Api forum in case there are better answers.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Thanks @Guy_ 

This information is correct.  HRV, Breathing Rate and skin temperature are only collected when the user is asleep and a sleep stage log is created.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to collect these values during the data when the user is awake.  This information is documented in the Additional Information section for end endpoint page.   For example, see https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/heartrate-variability/get-hrv-summary-by-date/#Collec....   Each endpoint is slightly different so please read each relevant data type.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer