Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URLScheme

Hi all, 

I am developing a web-based app. Is it possible to open fitbit app from another app so that we can force the user to sync?

I am trying to use fitbit:// as a target url but it is not opening the fitbit app. 

eg: if you use msteams:// it opens up Microsoft Teams. I read that the url scheme for fitbit is "fitbit://". What am I missing? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Your post was moved from the Android forum to the Web API Development forum area so you can get more relevant responses. The Android area is more for people who use the Fitbit app on their Android phones and need assistance.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @jdhvj 

It's not possible to force the user to sync.   If the Fitbit app is running on the mobile application, then the device and mobile app should sync automatically about every 15 minutes.  What is the reason you want to force a sync?

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer

Thanks Gordon, 

I understand that it is not possible to force the sync. We have a research app which gives some data to the user on other behavioural aspects and we want to allow an option for the user to open Fitbit app from our app time to time so that in case the Fitbit app goes to the background or got cleared from the cache. By allowing the user to open the app we can make sure the sync is still happening at some point so that we can get the data from the API when needed. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, we don't have a solution to make that possible.   Instead, you could request the "settings" scope.   If a user enables it, then your application can periodically call the Get Devices endpoint to find out the last time the user sync'd.   If they haven't synced in a couple of days, you could send a notification via text, email or through your application as a reminder to open the Fitbit application to sync their latest activity.  The device can store data for up to 6-7 days.  I'd recommend sending the reminder out after 3-4 days if data has not been received.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer

Thanks @GordonFitbit 

Appreciate the answer.

Best Answer