Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using fitbit health data to create a mobile game application

Dear experts,

My fellow teammates and I are working on a sports gamification project and would like to use Fitbit to collect health data such as heart rate and integrate it as a part of the game. We are quite new to API and app development thus need help from you!

I've read through a lot of article in the forum however is still confused which API should I use (Companion API to fetch data to the server on the phone/ Web API)

Also, I am not sure which part of the whole development should be done on Fitbit studio and which part on dev.fitbit. As for the mobile application part, is there any required platform I must code it on?

There is another proposed method: Fitbit get the heart rate data and connect to smart phone wifi, then send message to MQTT broker, and in our app, it get the data from the MATT broker. Is this method going to work? And if I try to implement this method, does it mean the companion and web API are not needed?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @KKC1 I've moved your post to the API Programming board. I think your app will be interfacing with fitbits API for fotbit's cloud server. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @KKC1,

Welcome to the forums!

It really depends on the type of data you're looking to pull.

• If you're looking to pull live heart rate data/raw data, I'd recommend using the Companion API and SDK. I recommend reaching out through our SDK forums (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/bd-p/sdk) if this fits closely with what you're looking for. For any Fitbit Studio related questions, the SDK forum would be the best place to ask.
  • If you want to fetch historical or data at rest, you can use the Web API. 

I hope this points you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any questions about the Web API.

Best Answer
0 Votes