Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tools do I need for this personal android app?

Hi.  I want to make a quick and dirty android app for my own use that will allow me to take a picture with my phone camera, and then bring up a food log form (to be sent to my personal fitbit profile).  On top of that I'd also like the app to correlate these pictures with my fitbit profile data for a kind of "daily glance" at food intake (likely just all these pictures sorted visually by day of the week w/ calorie info).  The pictures can be saved locally on my phone and deleted after a certain memory threshold.

I am a competent programmer, but this will be my first Android app and first experience with OAuth.  I have past experience with REST APIs and cURL in Python and Perl but I've pretty much forgotten all of it.

Can anyone help me get started with a list of development tools?

Heres what I imagine I'll need:

- IDE w/ Android simulation + debugging

- Android app framework for handling user input + displaying/arranging things on the screen

- Android camera library

- Android library for sending url requests (for OAuth + fitbit API) (note I don't care about storing different user credentials I'll probably just hardcode my profile)

P.S. the reason I want a picture in addition to logging the raw data is because I find it very annoying to have incomplete data, but I can't always estimate the calories.  In these scenarios I think it would be cool to have a visual placeholder of the item.

P.P.S. if this app already exists, I'd love to know what it's called haha

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Forgot to mention I'll be writing it in Java (unless there's some alternative) and that I will also probably need some Java lib for parsing JSON into a dictionary or something similar

Best Answer
0 Votes