Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting invalid signature errors?

ANSWERED

Fitbit requires API requests to be signed using OAuth 1.0a, as standardized in RFC 5849. We strongly encourage you to use an OAuth 1.0a library for your language and framework.

We have created a request token signature debugging tool. Twitter also has an excellent tutorial for creating an OAuth 1.0a signature.

If you need assistance generating a valid OAuth 1.0a signature, please provide the raw HTTP request you're sending to the Fitbit API and the base string that was signed. We cannot debug your application code.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

One of the changes that we made after Heartbleed is that if a user re-authorizes, the old token/secret is expired and a new token/secret is generated. Previous to that, if a user re-authorized, they would get the same token/secret as they had before. Could that be what you are seeing?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

We have been experiencing this particular error much more frequently and the timing appears to be around the Heartbleed security update.

Users will authorize their account and their access token will work for a period of time but then suddenly we'll start receiving this error.  It doesn't appear to be affecting all user, but it has affected some of the same users repeatedly -- requiring them to reauthorize each time it happens.

{"errors":[{"errorType":"oauth","fieldName":"oauth_access_token","message":"Invalid signature or token 'XXXXXXXXXXXXX' or token 'XXXXXXXXXX'"}],"success":false}

Any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of the changes that we made after Heartbleed is that if a user re-authorizes, the old token/secret is expired and a new token/secret is generated. Previous to that, if a user re-authorized, they would get the same token/secret as they had before. Could that be what you are seeing?

Best Answer

Yes, that's exactly the issue!  Thank you.

We allow people to login to our site via Fitbit, but we've never needed to update the access token information after that login (since the access token was the same).

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi,

i use your tool to debug fitbit api request !

https://dev.fitbit.com/apps/oauthtutorialpage

this tool give me a signature for a specific set of data and the request via this tool send me a good response ( code 200 )...my app with the same specific set of data give me the same signature...but when my app request the fitbit api i receive  an error : "Invalid signature: eSLse4cwkoadGI0tgeTWiU/5sHY=" !

the fitbit tool and my application (the server) send the same request (same data and same signature) but i receive 2 different responses !

can you help me ? 

thank !

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a similar issue. yesterday my oauth worked fine, today it fails with 401 invalid request.
i see that fitbit must have changed something. otherwise i can not explain why registration and authentification worked yesterday smooth in several ways and today i cannot proceed with the first step of userkey/secret request token.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The only one possible reason for getting back "Invalid Signature" is that your signature is invalid. There is no way that there will be any other possible reason then this.

This also means that the request that is formed by Fitbit oauth Debug page and the request that your app generates are different.

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a same issue:
if i make request right after the user authenticate the app, then everythings okay, i got the data.
Then i store the permanent token and token secret. I'm trying to reuse that tokent then i got Invalid Signature or token errors.
An i'm not the only one...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Invalid token or signature means exactly what it says:

you have invalid token OR/AND signature. There is no way that it can be something else.

Please use https://dev.fitbit.com/apps/oauthtutorialpage and see if you're able ot make requests with this tool.

Ivan Bahdanau
Best Answer
0 Votes

Invalid signature - This is what I get when I try to POST. 

Everything works fine when I am trying to get user information etc, but fails when I try to use the log food service. Is there any read write permission that needs to be worked at? I have given read and write access information while creating the application. 

This is happening on the fitpit api debug tool page itself.

To be precise my access token is :4af46cce5fec5f14b317792da2864d93

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What exact error message are you getting back?

Ivan Bahdanau
Best Answer
0 Votes

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

Server: nginx

X-UA-Compatible: IE=edge,chrome=1

Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

Cache-control: no-cache, must-revalidate

Pragma: no-cache

Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=2A3BE2E660C3BBC774C4B96E5CA6B186.fitbit1; Path=/; HttpOnly

WWW-Authenticate: OAuth realm="https%3A%2F%2Fapi006-g4.prod.dal05.fitbit.com"

Content-Type: application/json;charset=UTF-8

Content-Language: en

Content-Length: 140

Vary: Accept-Encoding

Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 03:40:13 GMT

{"errors":[{"errorType":"oauth","fieldName":"oauth_signature","message":"Invalid signature: qKbhjK/+KdqspCvlAGaOBxwwy9w="}],"success":false}

I am able to process the get request, and in this case I am using the same url as the API Explorer:

https://api.fitbit.com/1/user/-/foods/log.json?foodId=30414&mealTypeId=1&unitId=147&amount=1&date=20...

Is there anything I missed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. you signing your request wrong.

This is what fitbit response sends back to you.

There is no other reason in the world. It's clearly says: "Invalid signature..."

Ivan Bahdanau
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your response.

This is the signature being created by the debug tool. Do you mean to suggest that the API URL that is being passed has issues? That is the only parameter changing, because as I mentioned that GET user info method worked fine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please read this page: https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/OAuth+1.0a+Authentication

it may take time to understand it and get it right but it has all the information that you need to generate signature, and I'd say understanding this page is required so you can make proper Fitbit API requests. All oauth 1.0a signatures are built according to the rules described here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5849#section-3.4

You can play with fitbit debug tool more as well. Try changing different values and see if signature chanegs or not depending on values that you change.

Ivan Bahdanau
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Starting few days ago we started to receive the same error for some of our users: invalid signature or token "..." or token "...". But what is strange is that it started without any change in our code. 

We are using OAuth 1.0 since we started to use Fitbit API so no change of how we are doing the authentication and so on.

W really don't understand how come suddently we started to receive this kind of error. Maybe there is still a problem on Fitbit API end and not on the clients side.

We even tried the tool from https://dev.fitbit.com/apps/oauthtutorialpage with user's tokens and we receive the same error, so it's not our signature's fault.

I see that there are other devs having the same error so at least if someone who already solved the problem can share the solution, if any. If not then at least maybe someone from Fitbit can investigate a little bit why is not working for some users but for others it is working.

Any response/help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bogdan

Best Answer
0 Votes