Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error Authorization code verifier invalid

ANSWERED

From one day to the next (around December 14) my app users can't get a token anymore, because of the following error when calling https://api.fitbit.com/oauth2/token:

{"errors":[{"errorType":"invalid_grant","message":"Authorization code verifier invalid: <auth_code> Visit https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/oauth2 for more information on the Fitbit Web API authorization process."}],"success":false}

Nothing changed in the app (no update), I checked manually for the code verifier shown in this example error, the challenge used was <challenge>  and that's the correct challenge with the code verifier <verifier>

I get many reports starting around the December 14, 22:00 UTC (although the problem may exists already a few hours, not every user reports a problem).

I have no idea what is wrong, because it worked for a long time. Did something change at the Fitbit checking mechanism for code challenge/code verifier?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

After further investigation, it was determined there was a typo in the authorization URL's code_challenge_method parameter name which defaulted the code_challenge_method value to "plain" instead of user specified "S256".

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Hielko 

Please don't provide sensitive data in the public forums, such as your challenge and verifier.   We made a change recently where the applications using PKCE need to specify the application type = "client".   Would you please verify what your application type is?

GOrdon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GordonFitbit

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry for the sensitive data. 

The OAuth 2.0 application type is 'client', I'm sure it already was since the beginning.

Please let me know what additional information you need. I am collecting complaints from users currently 😞 

Best regards,

Hielko

Best Answer

After further investigation, it was determined there was a typo in the authorization URL's code_challenge_method parameter name which defaulted the code_challenge_method value to "plain" instead of user specified "S256".

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer