Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web api stalls, DOS or capacity problem?

hi

i'm using the api to download data (normally only for the particular day or intraday itself) for the 'personal' app type, 1 user me and myself only.
recently i'm experiencing a lot of stalls, the app connects to the api and it simply stalls (no data downloaded) but not disconnected as well. Sometimes it seemed the app start downloading a little data and shortly after, often seconds, stalls again.

Often i've had to simply terminate the app and try again later, this could literally happen for most part of the day, i succeeded in downloading perhaps once out of many re-tries in a day.

is there some capacity or DOS (denial-of-service) issue at the Fitbit API servers?

http://status.fitbit.com/
is always "All systems operational" when these stalls happen,

is any one else experiencing the same issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi

I've just started connecting to the FitBit API for 2 campaigns we are running. On one of the campaigns we have around 2000 FitBit users so I am running a cron every hour to go and refresh tokens for as many as I can, recording who I am updating as I go, then the next hour I continue where it left off, hoping that as 8 hours goes by I have been able to refresh tokens for all of our users otherwise I have to get them to connect up again which is annoying.

I am monitoring every hour how far I get and the results are pretty sporadic, sometimes I get to update over 100 users and other times it stalls at under 30 which is most of the time.

I'm finding it very difficult to manage refresh tokens so I can get activities for all of our connected users and I'd love to know if there is a better solution than what I am currently doing.

We also connect to Strava and MapMyFitness who don't have expiries on their tokens so they are a lot easier to manage. if we don't get data from them it doesn't matter but with FItBit if we don't refresh the token we are screwed!

cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes