Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge HR and Bit Finder Geo app

ANSWERED

Hi Fitbit

I am getting coments from users of my app saying that they are unable to use it to find some Charge HR,  Is there someone I can talk too about Fitbit's use of the Bluetooth protocol, so I may fix this problems.

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@mdvx: When a Fitbit device that can receive mobile notifications (such as Charge HR) is paired to a phone, it stops advertising itself. In that situation, people need to unpair the Bluetooth connection from their phone to cause the Fitbit device to start advertising itself.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @mdvx, It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community! Woman Very Happy So I can properly direct your inquiry please let me know if you are referring to the Fitbit app? If you are referring to another application, please provide me the name of the application.  Also when you mention they are unable to find some Charge HR, is it for syncing or to locate lost trackers? 

Looking forward to your new comments Woman Wink

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer

Hi Angela

The app I developed is Bit-Finder Geo https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mdvx.android.fitbitscanner and it searches for lost trackers, however I have had a number of reports of problems detecting the Fitbit Charger HR, so I wanted to check my assumptions with your developers.  The app listens for Bluetooth advertising, and I am interested to see if there is any extra information I can extract from these broadcasts.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mdvx: When a Fitbit device that can receive mobile notifications (such as Charge HR) is paired to a phone, it stops advertising itself. In that situation, people need to unpair the Bluetooth connection from their phone to cause the Fitbit device to start advertising itself.

Best Answer

Thank you for the insight

Best Answer

Hi,

Is it possible for the app to automatically unpair the Charge HR once it is no longer in foreground?

I am trying to use my Charge HR as a presence device, however its not practical because it stops advertising itself once synced - http://www.sajalkayan.com/post/presence-bluetooth.html (See the Update section bottom of the post)

I have disabled All-Day sync, Call Notifications and Always Connected.

My suggestion is the app should take these settings into account and decide accordingly if it needs to hold onto the bluetooth pairing or not.

Best Answer
The following (untested) code will throw up the Bluetooth Settings Activity, to prompt the user to unpair your Charge, if it is detected as paired (bonded)

public static boolean
unpairFitbit(Context c) {
BluetoothAdapter adapter = BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter();
Set<BluetoothDevice> pairedDevices = adapter.getBondedDevices();

for(BluetoothDevice bt : pairedDevices) {
if (bt.getName().equals("Charge HR")) {
Intent intentOpenBluetoothSettings = new Intent();
intentOpenBluetoothSettings.setAction(android.provider.Settings.ACTION_BLUETOOTH_SETTINGS);
c.startActivity(intentOpenBluetoothSettings);
return true;
}
}
return false;
}
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. But after turning off the All-Day sync, Call Notifications and Always Connected options, the charge HR no longer shows up as a paired device in the settings. I suspect the app holds onto the tracker using some other BLE tricks.

Also, I don't want to manually un-bond the tracker because I wont always remember to do that. If I wanted to do it manually, I can simply turn off bluetooth and then on again. That un-bonds the tracker and advertisements resume...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I have noticed it does not release immediatly, have you tried: 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23076641/ble-device-bonding-remove-automatically-in-android

Best Answer
0 Votes