Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not losing weight and I don't know why!

So I got my fitbit for New Year and I have been going to the gym 3 times a week. I do about 40 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weight training. On average, at the gym I burn anywhere between 450 - 550. My calorie deficit is 500 cals and I'm always under target (Not by choice, I'm just not hungry!), so I'm stumped as to why it's been 4 weeks and no weight loss 😞 and it's making me pretty upset and making me want to just give up.

I'm 20 years old, 5ft 1 and weigh 9 stone 11 - I've been to the gym before, a year or so ago (before I met my partner) and I was losing weight every week, a pound or half a pound here and there.

I have a 9-5 Monday - Friday desk job so when I'm not going to the gym I'm only burning around 1,800 calories.

The only thing that I'm doing differently with my diet and workouts is that I'm having a protein shake after workouts, I'm not supplimenting meals for them or anything - just having it after a work out, and I'm still under my calorie targets!

I've noticed that after 2 weeks of the gym my heart rate no longer peaks, even though I'm working just as hard as always! Although it could just be because I'm getting fitter?

Does anyone have any advice? I understand that maybe I'm building muscle which could be why I'm not losing any weight, but I don't "see" a difference in me either.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
36 REPLIES 36

Hi there,

I do to physical restrictions am not able to use weights but have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks..
I picked a 10 hr window 9am to 7pm and do not eat or drink anything outside of that 10 hr window except for lemon water or water. You can also have black coffee. It was advise I got from a personal trainer. It regulates your blood sugar. I walk 4 miles everday for my cardio excersise. Also make healthy food choices during that 10 hr window. Have not eaten any junk food in 3 weeks either. It works 🙂
Hopefully this might help you!!
Keep at it 🙂

Best Answer

You may not see a difference in the scale but have you tried taking other measurements? Waist, hips, thighs, etc? Just because you may not be seeing the numbers on the scale move doesn't mean you're not getting results in a different way! If you're not getting a heartrate peak, it may be you've hit a plateau. Just remember, a pound of fat and a pound of muscle still both weigh one pound. But the muscle takes up less space in the body than fat does. So again, try taking other measurements, not just weight. I usually use MyFitnessPal for those other measurements (hips, waist, and neck) and it syncs with Fitbit!  

Best Answer

This is good advice.  I'm down over 10% of my body weight (in stone 14.7 to 12.9 roughly) and for more than a month my weight has remained there.  However, by body fat % is slowly edging down week by week.  I can tell that I'm smaller by the fit in my clothes (or the "not" fitting in my clothes).  

When I was still losing weight and stalled out, removing carbs was the best trigger.  The junk carbs like soda had gone out first, but then less breads, rice, etc. after that.  If your eating plan is consistent, you might try raising protein levels and dropping carbs as a trial.

Best Answer

Hmm...good advice from the others. Possible too that not just how much, but WHAT you're eating.  Doubtful that you need that protein shake, unless you're not eating properly and doing HEAVY weight lifting.  And do note, that some excess protein gets wee-ed out and some stored as fat.

Cardio is most effective to losing weight when done in a calorie deficient state to get into the fat burning zone.  If you're working out after work when your body has been fed, you need to do MORE working out, probably like 60 minutes of cardio plus 30+ minutes of weights.  Otherwise, you're not burning any fat for energy, you're just consuming up the glycogen stores already available in your body.  Hopefully when you're working out you are ONLY drinking water...not some neon colored sports drink which also replenishes your sugar levels, and thus keeping you out of the fat burning zone.

Running calorie deficit is good, but what the source of the calories are matters too.  100 calories from fruit/veg is not the same in terms of bioavailability and nutrient content as 100 calories of crisps or chips....etc..

let's look at your needs....

9st11 = 137 lbs....

roughly, if were laid up in bed with a coma you'd burn 1370 calories just laying there....

going about your regular daily activities 500-1000 cals...maybe call that 500-750...just to maintain your current self....body needs a minimum of 1870 cals.  so you're 'not going to the gym estimate at 1800 is pretty spot on!!!  🙂

If you're heart rate no longer peaks, just continuing at that level will make you more 'fit' on the inside.  Possibly need to raise the intensity if you'd like to keep improving in that regard.

Best measure of checking your body changes is to notice how your clothes are fitting, how you're looking in the mirror, and measurements of all the areas (shoulders, biceps, chest, stomach, hips, thighs, calfs)...journalling and doing pictures is a great way to track progress and before/after. 

Mostly I'd circle back to what are you eating?  And when?  eating 6x throughout the day, eating based on either what you just did or are going to do, matters to how your body responds and processes (uses, stores) the fuel.

So a little more info would be helpful to help you.

Best Answer

@ShortFox wrote:

So I got my fitbit for New Year and I have been going to the gym 3 times a week. I do about 40 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weight training. On average, at the gym I burn anywhere between 450 - 550. My calorie deficit is 500 cals and I'm always under target (Not by choice, I'm just not hungry!), so I'm stumped as to why it's been 4 weeks and no weight loss 😞 and it's making me pretty upset and making me want to just give up.

Is it possible that you are overestimating calories burned during your workout?

@ShortFox wrote:

I've noticed that after 2 weeks of the gym my heart rate no longer peaks, even though I'm working just as hard as always! Although it could just be because I'm getting fitter?

Sounds like it to me.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes
Try working out before you eat in the morning..
It works for me..
I almost work out on an empty stomach.
Best Answer

@ShortFox wrote:

This is probably part of it.

Think of it this way.  If your workouts are not as hard as they used to be... then you need to be working harder, if you want to maintain the same results you got before.

And also take into consideration how far (or close) you are from your goal weight.  Ever watch the Biggest Loser?  Take someone just starting out on that show, who's WAY over their ideal body weight.  They work out hard, all week.  I've seen some of the bigger guys lose more than 30lbs in a week early on in that show.  But that same guy, towards the end of the show... much closer to their ideal weight, much fitter... working out just as hard, they might lose 4 or 5lbs in a week.

Best Answer

Hi SF, there are a huge number of things to consider.  First of all don't give up.  People have what you are going through all the time. 

Here is the problem with exercise.  The more you exercise, the better you are at.  The more efficent your body gets, the fewer the calories you burn.  You have noticed that your heart isn't peaking as high.  That is a sign you need to change things up.

So you say you do 40 minutes of cardio, change it up.  Try 40 minutes of running one day, 40 minutes of swimming on another day.  Changing things up will stress different muscles, and you should see weight loss.

Also remember muscle mass weighs more than fat mass.  Your weight may have not changed, but your fat percentage may have come down.

There is another down side to exercise.  So for example if you ate 2000 calories in a day.  You exercise and your fitbit app says you burned 2500 calories.  So you think you should be 500 under...  Well as you get better at the exercise, your body burns less calories doing it.  Worse every single person has a "maximum": number of a calories you can burn in a day regardless of physical activity.  It could be that your maximum is say 2000 calories.  You think you burned 500 calories exercise.  But instead of burning 2000 calories the rest of the day, your body is now more efficient.  So your body actually burned 1500 calories. You end up only burning 2000 calories...  No weight loss...

So this is a second reason to change things up.  Biking one day, swimming the next time, running, step class.  Try exercising for different amounts of time.  Cut back one day, and do more on another day.  If you do the exact same thing every time...  you body because a PRO at it.

I just read a study where one group ran 10 miles a day, another 8 miles a day, and another didn't exercise at all.  As long as each group ate the same balanced diet as the other groups, no group saw any weight loss or gain.  The runners burned less energy at rest.  The non exercisers burned more energy doing nothing compared to the runners.  Were the runners more healthy???  Yes of course they were.  The point is exercising 1 hours a day vs 2 hours will probably result in no difference in weight loss.  Your body adapts and burns fewer calories at rest...

I also hate to say this, but exercise is only 20% of weight loss.  What your eat, how much you eat, when you eat.  Are all huge factors.  And eating TOO little can be an issue.  A lot of people believe eating too little causes your body to hang onto fat.  I know is sounds counter productive, but sometime you have to eat to lose.  They believe if your body doesn't think a next meal is coming, it can hold onto fat.

Most nurtitonists will tell you to eat 3 balanced meals, with snacks between meals.  This keeps your energy level the same throughout the day. And your body knows you are eating regularily and won't hang onto fat.

I'm not a big fan of Shakes, sports drinks etc.  I believe in a moderate balanced diet.  Small portions of meat, with fruits and vegetables taking at least 50% to 67% of each meal.  Small snacks of nuts, apples, etc.  Lots and lots of water.  Avoid diet sodas, and other empty calorie drinks.  If you want a 0 calorie drink drink Tea, or water. 

But the most important thing...  Just don't give up... 

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

I would definitely ditch the protein shake. Its good for muscle build up and load up. Not good for weight loss.

Try and vary your workout, go for a longer less intense one, you will burn more calories in the fat burning zone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • Shakes and Sports Supplements - Don't really need them if you consume the correct kinds of foods. Avoiding restaurants, fast food joints, making clean and efficient meals. Most supplements do not work as advertised if you are not consuming clean and efficient meals or following a meal plan set by a dietitan. Bananas for example are good supplements to shakes for potassium to recover muscles.
  • 1800 calorie burn is sedentary level. It's best to work on light active buildup at work. Avoiding the chair if possible. You can obtain up to 10,000 steps at work avoiding the chair with burning efficiency.
  • I generally fit in a schedule of 60 minutes per night at the gym. Since I'm mostly targeting fat burn, I use the Elliptical Trainer up to 60 minutes on Heart Rate Interval. As to many websites advices, they recommend setting an Ellitpical Trainer on HR Interval mode versus Fat Burn and versus Cardio as it'll target both and work on Fat Burning.
  • Not many would even recommend this, but at the gym I started carrying a Camelbak 100 ounce water bag on the elliptical trainer. This improves efficiency by being able to stay on it without having to refill it and you can keep hydrated.
Best Answer

My best advice is for you to head over to bodybuilding main webpage and browse through their sample nutritional articles and free meal plans. Everything you need to know can be found on their site. If you would like me to suggest a diet program, the 3 week diet is a good one. It will teach you what foods to buy and eat. You will be put you in a caloric deficit to lose weight. You can learn more about it here, reviewyu.com/3-week-diet-program-lose-20-pounds-21-days. I actually lost 30 pounds with this program in 2-3 months; you keep recycling through the program after 3 weeks until you reach your goal. You should lose 15-30 pounds with this program easily. I would also suggest you buy food high in fiber, they take longer to digest and will keep you feeling full.

Also weight loss is just calories in vs calories out. You can be doing all the exercises in the world but if your diet is bad, you will not lose the fat of your body. Just wanted to share with you, what has worked for me. I hope this was helpful.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Calories-in-calories-out has become such a mantra. My doctor said it, along with these inspiring words: "It's simple! An orangutan could understand it." Well. I have been at least 1,000 calories consumed below calories burned for 26 days straight now, and I have not lost a thing. And, no, I am not starving. I eat whole sprouted grains and lean meats and fish and fresh veg and fruit--only 2 servings a day. I eat avocados and walnuts and olive oil as my fats. I drink almond milk and LOTS of water. I eat very little dairy, just as a matter of preference...come Sunday, what with a game on the docket, I may eat a piece of Brie. If I have pancakes, I will definitely have butter. If it is a hot, sunny summer day and we are out for a drive, yes, please: let's stop for frozen yogurt. And when I am done for the day, I am done. I have upped my exercise, going from very sedentary originally due to a debilitating illness that then became habitual to doing 90 minutes a day of gentle (by most people's measure, but what I can do) cardio activity--my Fitbit measures the effect as typically 50-83% cardio burn per 30 minute session. But my weight is stagnant. Ugh.
Best Answer
Btw, I am loving the activity, and it has become my new habit. I feel better. I sleep better. My resting heart rate has dropped from 79 to 71 across 4 weeks. I am getting stronger and more efficient. And my stamina has improved. So it makes me happy. I certainly wish, though, that it were contributing to the scale witnessing a weight loss.
Best Answer

A lot of Great stuff in this thread and just want to add my two cents......On Dec 2nd I had Knee surgery on Nov. 1st I decided to start losing weight knowing I could not exercise for 3-5 months I was 250 pounds on Nov. 1st today Feb 5 i am currently at 219 .

I lost 31 pounds by NOT exercising.

the bottom line here is the thinking of weight loss and food intake is EXTREMELY outdated in this country.

I do not want to get in to it here and would never quite explain it as well as others but I would HIGHLY suggest looking into it.

Especially if you are frustrated with weight loss or plateaued.

Just Google and research these Words

LCHF

Banting

Keto

Imagine getting to eat lots of great food, as much as you want and not exercise AND lose weight.

and I cheat from time to time as i want to and can recover nicely. but still i am pretty disciplined and the cheating get less desirable.

And I know everyone is different and people can lose weight many ways and whatever keeps you trim and healthy is great, and I support you and your methods

Just one mans opinion.

Lastly I Want to be clear, Exercise is GOOD, It keeps you extremely healthy, i plan on toning in the gym and doing TONS of Hiking, but exercise to lose weight IMO is futilely and should NEVER be the main objective of Exercise.

again if you are struggling I suggest you Google some of the Words above, you will see another light.

If you agree with what i said i would love some like minded friends just add me!

Best Answer
@MaddogWLV Actually, I am on the verge of embarking on a LCHF break...just trying to decide what the best timing would be. I know it will at least give me a jump start. I know it is effective, and I have some personal experience of low carbing from a decade ago or so. I had thought I would be in a round right now, but then needed to wear a heart monitor for 48 hours--today through noon Sunday-- and I have read that LCHF can cause palpitations, especially in the first couple of weeks, so I really need to wait until this monitor is done--I do not need any false or weird readings, right?

A hinderance for me? I am not a big fan of flesh in general. If there is a meat I prefer, it is bacon or sausage. And I rather think I should not build a diet/way of eating around bacon. But I am looking at what I can lay in over the next couple of weeks, hoping to build menus around greens and nuts and eggs and olive oil and maybe cottage cheese and avocados and a little fish and chicken. And bacon.

Is there a good site you would recommend I check out for guidance? My DR does approve a LC approach, too. So point me?
Best Answer

@Robcorc

Re LCHF--here's a good place to start:  http://www.dietdoctor.com

I also suggest learning about giving your pancreas a rest now and then (also known as intermittent fasting):

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

I follow the principles and have been dropping 3lbs a week (big guy..). I'm not too 'extreme' though.

My fasts are usually abt 24 hours and LCHF is carbs under 100.

Hope this helps.  Rob K

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

yea  diet dr. is a great start. also I follow lots of LCHF people on Instagram and Facebook and they are ALWAYS posting great recipes that will help you, especially if you are not a big meat eater. GOOD LUCK.

and Yes I only eat in a 6-8  hour window and fast for at least 16 hrs including sleep, and i am a BIG fan of my own version of Bullet proof coffe, I call Maddog coffe, I feel my coffe is a must and essential to my performance and weight loss and its TASTES great!!!

Here is a Link to Bullet proof coffe if you have never heard of it....https://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

now if I can just get star bucks to start making it!

Best Answer

@MaddogWLV wrote:

i am a BIG fan of my own version of Bullet proof coffe, I call Maddog coffe, I feel my coffe is a must and essential to my performance and weight loss and its TASTES great!!!

No single item (whether food, drink or supplement) is going to cause weight loss. Coffee (whether Bulletproof, Maddogproof or else) is no different. The caffeine found in coffee is a known stimulant, however. It may very well contribute to your performance.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Robcorc wrote:
I am looking at what I can lay in over the next couple of weeks, hoping to build menus around greens and nuts and eggs and olive oil and maybe cottage cheese and avocados and a little fish and chicken. And bacon.

Do take into account nuts, olive oil, avocados etc. are all high in calories (fat = 9 calories per gram), so it’s very easy to find yourself in a caloric surplus from eating them. Just because a food item is "healthy" doesn’t mean you can eat endless amounts of it. Regardless of the macronutrient split you decide to go for (eg. LCHF), you still need to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. Eating "clean" or "healthy" is not sufficient.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes