Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Zip goes through batteries like crazy every 2 weeks. What can I do to make the battery life last longer

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

I have the same problem and I have software 5.9 on my PC. I believe it is because my zip and my mobile are constantly updating.

On the PC go to Devices - top right next to logout. Second line down Zip view device settings. Choose Live Data  and Disable. 

I do not know how to do this just on the phone app.

Best Answer

I also go through a lot of batteries on my Zip.  One time it lasted 62 days; the shortest time was 3 days.  The average is about 23 days. (I've kept track!)

I get message that my Fitbit battery is low even when it isn't low.  The batteries are expensive.

Best Answer

I am prompted to replace the batteries ever 2-3 DAYS!  The brand of battery did not matter, Sunbeam at dollar store or Energizer from Amazon... same result.

I will try disabling the Live Data to see if that changes anything and will report back.  Should not take me long at the rate my Zip is processing batteries (.

Best Answer
Thank you. Please let me know what works for you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here are the things I try before changing the battery.  

1. Turn the phone off. Restart - sometimes helps; it may be a bluetooth problem.

2.   Sit down at a table.  Remove the battery from the Zip; immediately return the same battery to the Zip and reattach the cover.  It restarts without losing the steps that you've already taken that day. This sometimes helps.

3. When I get an email from Fitbit telling me the battery is low, I ignore it.  When the battery is really low, a battery symbol with a diagonal line appears on the face of the Zip.  Then I know it is really time to change it.

I started using this Zip in January 2020.  Once, in 2022, a battery lasted 76 days but only once.  My last battery lasted 4 days - from Dec. 17, 2023 to Dec. 21, 2023. During 2023, the 4 longest living batteries were 49 days, 46 days, 40 days and 39 days, not consecutively.

Go figure!

Best Answer
I have done all of the above. Thank you for your suggestions anyway.
Best Answer

I have the same problem. Short of uninstalling the fitbit app and re-installing when I want to sync, I have found that disabling access to mobile data and wifi data in the fitbit background will prevent the background sync. (accessed on android under settings; connections; Data usage; Wi-Fi data usage; fitbit; Allow background data usage)

One has to re-enable the internet access when one wants a sync.

This whole issue is an indication of poor software design. I can't think of any reason for all-day sync of my zip. It certainly has a dramatic change in battery life.

Best Answer

You have provided the most useful information regarding short battery life in the four years that I have used my Zip.  I found these settings on the Fitbit app on my Apple phone and I have switched them off.  Easy enough to switch back on when I'm ready to sync.  Thank you for your help!  👍👍

Best Answer

Another option which may work for some people is to put the zip in a small faraday bag.

Best Answer
Thank you. Some how it only now syncs when I tap it to. So now the battery
last about a month, better then weekly.
Best Answer

I have changed my approach to preventing the unwanted/unnecessary sync from my android phone.

I now go to Settings;Apps;Fitbit;Permissions
I set "Nearby devices permission" to "Don't Allow".
When I want to sync my Zip, I allow the permission, use the fitbit app, then don't allow the permission.
I also disable the permission for Notification to prevent noise from the Fitbit app.

My battery life has improved considerably.

Best Answer

Your idea to suspend permissions to local devices does seem to extend the zip battery life. My downside is the steps and active minutes are close to double what I know they should be. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Personally, I have not found this to be the case.  My steps and active minutes are the same as they were prior to turning off Background App Refresh and Cellular Data on my i phone.  I watch my Zip during the day and only sync at night before I go to bed.  By then I know I have achieved my step goal and when I sync and look at active minutes and I can see exactly when I was moving and when I was sitting at my computer.

Best Answer