Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Fitbit Zip Algorithm Different from Other Fitbit Models?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I currently use a Fitbit Zip and wear it on my bra strap during the day.  I am considering purchasing an accessory that would allow me to wear the Zip on my wrist like the other Fitbit products (Flex, Charge, Surge, etc.).  In the reviews for the wrist band accessory, many people remark that their number of steps is being inflated due to arm movements made even while in a stationary position, such as standing at the sink doing dishes.  Of course, this isn't a flaw in the product, it is simply an effect of wearing the device on one's wrist versus at the waist or on a bra strap.  However, it got me wondering... does this step inflation occur for all the Fitbit products worn on the wrist, or do those products contain a different step counting algorithm than the Zip to account for the additional "arm only" movements that are bound to occur during regular daily activities.  Does anyone know?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@BGDREMZ Welcome to the forums. Every Fitbit model has movement filters within their calculations and are tailored to the type of Fitbit, where it is worn and and the expected body movement. I have tested all of my Fitbits concurrently, and when worn as recommended they perform as expected.

The Zip I have found to be always generous in calories and it was always higher in my Active Minutes for the same activity. Maybe that has been tuned since the arrival of the wrist type Fitbits.

All Fitbits have their weaknesses and I find with the HR models that I loose steps on shopping trolleys and gain them when cleaning up at home. I find it evens out in a day.

@BGDREMZ wrote:

I currently use a Fitbit Zip and wear it on my bra strap during the day.  I am considering purchasing an accessory that would allow me to wear the Zip on my wrist like the other Fitbit products (Flex, Charge, Surge, etc.).  In the reviews for the wrist band accessory, many people remark that their number of steps is being inflated due to arm movements made even while in a stationary position, such as standing at the sink doing dishes.  Of course, this isn't a flaw in the product, it is simply an effect of wearing the device on one's wrist versus at the waist or on a bra strap.  However, it got me wondering... does this step inflation occur for all the Fitbit products worn on the wrist, or do those products contain a different step counting algorithm than the Zip to account for the additional "arm only" movements that are bound to occur during regular daily activities.  Does anyone know?  

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes