Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe battery drain on ZIP

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Any solutions to the battery drain with the ZiP?  I used to get several weeks or months on one battery but now it seems like I only get a few days with a new Battery.  I get same results from a 2025 or a 2032 Duracell or Energizer.  App is on an iPhone.  I don’t want a wrist version tracker and only want to track steps so any other Fitbit option won’t work for me.  HELP!

Best Answer
0 Votes
26 REPLIES 26

@JMCzipuser Fitbit hasn't changed anything with the ZIP. You have a better connection and therefore consistency and expected battery longevity. If you're keeping the Inspire for future use, it's best to charge and discharge the battery occasionally instead of leaving it in the box as the types of batteries in it can die from not being used. Many people report this happening to them in the One forums as several purchased this unit as backups but any LiPo powered tracker is susceptible. Glad you're working well again. Keep smiling and keep stepping! 🙂 

(edited right after posting, fixed susceptible typo. I need coffee, lol)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JMCzipuser You pick your poison.  If you're not buying replaceable batteries, then you're buying another Fitbit device, when that rechargeable, irreplaceable battery dies.  For some folks, shelling out a little bit over time for replaceable batteries beats shelling out all at once for a new FB.

@JMCzipuser If you've done a firmware update, I believe that your Zip is now in constant communication with your smart phone.  You might try logging out of the app, and see if that helps with your battery drain issue.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
As much as I loved the idea of the Fitbit Zip, it was a junk device. The battery drain issue is unacceptable. Pieces of cardboard and other solutions on this device highlight that this device was designed poorly. I am sure this post will generate negative comments but so be it.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lfferro it's a support community, and we're discussing outdated trackers from nearly a decade past, so your comments putting down this device are definitely out of place. I doubt an engineer in 2012 was concerned with the possibility of the casing or battery prong not being perfectly consistent, cardboard or repositioning being two completely free methods to resurrect an otherwise nonfunctional or less than an optimally functional tracker. If you're here to learn how to make your old tracker function in 2021, you're in the right place. If you're not, maybe get a newer model of Fitbit tracker? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting your perspective that an engineer was not concerned with the product quality and the battery contacts. Shouldn't we expect a company like Fitbit to think about the design of their products to serve paying customers. I don't believe 2012 was the dark ages of product engineering.

From your perspective we should accept poorly designed products, so much for quality. 

After the post back in the spring I did indeed move to a better designed and performing product. So I no longer need to seek answers from this forum. I wish all good luck in the pursuit of keeping their Zip's functioning.

As info apparently there is a dating issue on posts as I haven't posted on this site since the spring.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lfferro you have some things going on we can't help you with and sorry. If you'd like to brainstorm on ways to improve the usability of your old device, I'd be glad to help. Please don't twist my words to serve your angry directive. From my perspective, we need to recognize that we're discussing ancient discontinued trackers and ways to make them function in the present time, something the manufacturers couldn't anticipate with a continuously evolving landscape. Do you really expect any technology company to be concerned with how a device will function in a decade? I don't. 2011-2012 actually were significantly strange periods. Nobody said it was the dark ages. Please, express yourself and ask, instead of reinterpreting my words for your purpose? I'm glad you found a newer Fitbit that serves your needs and hope you continue benefiting from it while improving your health.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting reply.

I voiced an opinion regarding the design of a product and responded to your assertion that a product engineer was not concerned with the possibility of the casing or battery prong not being perfectly consistent.

Your response then was to make this personal with your response with the following, "Please don't twist my words to serve your angry directive".

At no time did I make any remarks that were not focused on the product or its design, yet you decided to deem that I had an angry directive.

Maybe you should self evaluate your own remarks in this thread.

At this juncture I will be glad to let this drift away, however I do reserve the right to respond if you choose to continue to make personal comments towards me.

Best Answer
0 Votes