Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the reason for requiring internet connection to sync?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why is it necessary to have an internet connection just to sync my zip to my phone?  It's connecting via bluetooth.  I have plenty of space on my phone.  Leave my data there and when I get an internet connection then I'll sync to your site.  I can't even see old data without an internet connection.  What good is that?  I find this so totally irritating.  

Please explain.

Thank you.

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

When you sync it takes the data from your fitbit and uploads it to the fitbit servers on the internet. When you then look at your dashboard on the phone it's showing the data on those servers - the data isn't held on the phone.

So, you need bluetooth on for the phone to connect to the fitbit and you need internet access for the phone to connect to the servers.

Best Answer
I understand the technology. But why? It's more important for me, the user,
to have the data than the requirement that the data can only be displayed
when I have an internet connection.

I have plenty of space on my phone. That's where it should be stored so I
always have access to my data regardless of connection. Why does Fitbit
have primary control of my data?

Thank you
Best Answer

I guess one reason might be for people like me that use more than one device with fitbit. I use both my phone and my computer to sync and view data but if the data was synced to the phone then I would not have access to it via the computer.

Another reason might be safety. If your data is on your phone and you lose your phone it's goodbye data. On the servers it's always safe once synced.

Best Answer
0 Votes
But I should have access to the data from my phone regardless of Internet
connection and sync when I do. Like when I'm home in front of my computer.

If I travel and do the have wifi or a bad data connection I can't use the
app.
Best Answer

Sorry, it's just not designed that way.

Best Answer
But it could be. Especially if enough people request it.
Best Answer

Thanks @SteveH for your input! Cat Happy Cat Wink @maichrcol welcome aboard! Just like @SteveH mentioned Fitbit trackers aren't yet designed to allow offline syncing. I encourage you to add your votes and comments in the idea called: Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally. Good luck!

Catch you later! Smiley Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Miriam/fitbit team,

How many years and votes does a suggestion or "idea" need before it is "worthy" of fitbit time to implement?

>4 years and almost 1300 votes would indicate a lot of people want this basic functionality.

I say basic because it is, the information has to go through the phone/computer to upload to the fitbit servers.  So why not let it hit there first and be available to view/use, then sync to cloud when internet becomes available again?

Seriously, Music got done with 9 whole votes!?!

Yes, I do realize that would have been because of a new device release.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @NoNetConnection! Thank you for your feedback and for your comments about the way that Fitbit trackers sync. I wanted to assure you that we take into consideration all the comments provided by our users to continue improving their experience. 

Regarding the off line syncing suggestion, at the moment there are no plans to release this idea. You can take a look to the official statement from Fitbit about this at Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally.

Catch you later. 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes