Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZIP Won’t Sync with Your Android Phone? READ THIS!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It likely never will. At least not unless you’re willing to remove and replace the battery every time that you want the device to sync.

Fitbit lost the ability to sync with the Zip starting with android 9, which first started hitting phones about a year ago. As more and more android phones get updated, more and more Zip users are losing the ability to sync with their Zips. Fitbit hasn’t been able to fix the problem since they first became aware of it a year ago, so they’ve apparently quietly given up and have abandoned the Zip and it’s users. Some of their own support staff STILL don’t seem to be aware of this while others will tell you the score immediately.

i have a solution that has been 100% successful for me but it annoys me immensely and it wasn’t free... and it’s far from the perfect solution (aka a product that actually just works properly), but now I get all of my step data from the Zip automatically without having to remove and replace the battery every time:

I bought an iPhone. Lol. Used with a cracked screen, I got it for cheap off eBay. The Zip syncs with it instantly and that data gets sent up to the cloud and back down to my android phone almost just as quickly. I installed the Fitbit software on the iPhone, loaded the app, turned off the display and tossed the phone behind my computer on a charger. Now my zip syncs pretty much the moment I walk thru the door. The blasted thing spends all day unable to sync with my android phone, but as soon as I get within range of that iPhone, it syncs.

lol. I freakin HATE it, but it works. Obviously, this isn’t going to be a good solution for many of you, but if you’re like me, maybe it’ll let you get some more life out of your Zip while waiting for a company that doesn’t suck to release a good alternative.

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

It didn't start with Android 9. Two phones, one each with Android 6 and 7 also will not sync.  Also, a Windows 10 laptop won't sync. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The FitBit app for Android has always been buggy with issues that affected some phones more than others and it doesn't surprise me that it's the same with some Windows computers. But with the release of Android 9, the sync issues affect pretty much every single phone running that version of the OS.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree, have been using Android 7 for more than 4 years and have had no
problem until the latest update. They just made changes to the home page to
make it real pretty but the dam thing still won't update! I'm starting to
have second thoughts about Zipfit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Found an old version of the android app  (2.89), uninstalled the current version,  installed the older version, and my Zip has started syncing again!

Works with android 6 and 7.

Best Answer

We just dug out an old Galaxy S8 with android 8 on it and it also still syncs well with the Zip. These older android phones can be used the same way that we're using the broken iPhone; just give the phone power and park it somewhere in the home and let it act as the Zip Sync Station. It's a bit absurd, but no less so than removing and reinstalling the battery multiple times a day, which very definitely puts excessive wear on the battery door and battery terminals.

Best Answer

Can you give a link where you found it, please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried to post the link, but it contains forbidden word for an app file to be side loaded on an android device. Do a search for fitbit app 2.89, and you'll see "forbidden word" mirror dot com. 

I'd stay away from the 3.0 series. 2.95 appears to work as well. 

Best Answer

Have Android 7 with Zip and stopped syncing with latest update to app. It was purchased thru my company - very large with over 35000 employees. It is time that they offer a new device to everyone since it has been a few years. Due to this, I will be getting in touch with HR and advising them to not work with Fitbit again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another frustrated zip user.  I found a cheaper solution than an I phone. Garmin vivoki  Similar product and phone app. Syncs seamlessly and is compatible with my health insurance company.   I too am using an older Android phone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks.  Will try that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is obvious to me that the problem is the app itself. Some change in the app caused the sync problem. For Fitbit to blame the phone or the version of Android is ridiculous. I've been using version 2.89 of the app on my Samsung J3 with android 6.0.1 for two days now, and there's been no problems with sync.

If you install an older version of the app, the issue becomes preventing the app from updating to the latest version. If you have auto update turned on, you will need to turn it off for the fitbit app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks ScottAllyn:)  I have now deleted the app from my LG phone, updated the FitBit app on my PC and sync once a day to it.  You do have to "force the sync" the old fashion way, however, it's better than: 

a) getting another phone

b) getting a new tracker

c) being frustrated all day trying to get it to sync

d) and waiting on hold for 30 minutes to talk to someone in "customer service".

Hope you all figure out ways to get yours to work.  It looks like they have discontinued the ZIP and want everyone to upgrade like I said in one of my earlier posts:(

Best Answer
0 Votes