Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip battery door not opening

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit zip battery back will not open.  I have used the tool that comes with the Fitbit zip and a quarter to try to open it.  It will not open.  I have enlisted the help of my daughter and son in law, fitbit owners as well, who say it is unusually tight, and they can't open it either.  The only person who has ever been able to open it, are the employees of RadioShack (where I purchased my new battery from).

Has anyone else encountered this?  Any ideas to get it to work?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50
Rather than warm water, try a hair drier for just a minute or so.
VEH
Best Answer
They sent me a new one which was very nice. But I had the same problem with that one. Anyway I use a Tom Tom watch now which gives me more comprehensive data.

Ron and Anthea Harding
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I pressed down really hard and it opened because it broke a new door not available sigh

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I've decided to ditch the Fitbit, even though I got the door open using a hairdryer. Once I got the new battery in I had trouble getting the door back on and then it still didn't work without applying additional pressure. If they're not doing anything to correct the situation, it will just keep happening.
Might try the Tom Tom at some point.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just tried what another community member suggested and it worked! To open your Zip battery door, heat the battery door for 30 seconds with a hair dryer.  It opened easily and while I had it opened, I cleaned the battery door. 

Best Answer
Thanks for the comment. I did that and got the door open but not easily. Got the battery in, but the door back on after cleaning it and the battery didn't work. That's not the zip's fault, but it was so difficult to get the door off even after using the hairdryer I just let it go. The slot where you put something to unscrew the door it's just about torn up now. Not worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the comment. I did that and got the door open but not easily. Got the battery in, but the door back on after cleaning it and the battery didn't work. That's not the zip's fault, but it was so difficult to get the door off even after using the hairdryer I just let it go. The slot where you put something to unscrew the door it's just about torn up now. Not worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't get the battery door to open.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used the wee cover from my second fitbit zip different color but it does not show.
all zips in a drawer
now wearing a charge 2.

vjw class of 1965

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. The hairdryer trick worked perfectly. I heated it for a few seconds and the quarter worked just fine. I had been trying every coin for the last 20 min to try and pry open the back but nothing was working. Thank you thank you

Best Answer

After struggling to get the battery door open, one tip worked:

I used a hair dryer for about 30 seconds and it opened. 

It took a couple of tries, but it worked!

Good tip. Thanks. 

Best Answer

Just picked up my fitbit ZIP - but could not open the battery door. Hair blower on it for a few seconds did the trick! 

Best Answer

My Fitbit was "lost" in a hot closet for a year. 

The only way the battery door would open was with the heat from a hair dryer. 

Best Answer

What also works is a hand dryer (hot air).

Best Answer

I had the same problem... slippery little thing. 

After a frustrating few minutes, I slipped the Zip backwards into the clip holder and this made it very easy to grasp. Once I had good hold of it, I could open it without problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Who designed the Fitbit Zip??!!  Battery cover doesnt open properly.  Do not buy this!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try putting it in the clip-sleeve backwards. It really helps to get ahold of it.
Best Answer

To “unstick” the battery cover, gently use the heat from a hair dryer to “loosen” it.
It works.

Andrea Owad

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

30 seconds with hairdryer on high got it to move then had to pry open, but it worked!! Thx for tip!! 

Best Answer