Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sync with Chromebook?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

April 1 2014

Planning to purchase a Google Chromebook, will Fitbit work with it?

jim

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Hi there @SunsetRunner, welcome aboard to our Community and thank you for joining us. If you know the steps, feel free to share your comments. I'm sure it will help other users.

So far as I mentioned before, the Chromebook is not officially supported by Fitbit, so if there is a workaround it would be good to take a closer look to make sure everything is going to work as expected.

Thank you for sharing this with us and hope to see you again.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Yes, this is possible with Chromebooks that have Intel processors. I'll need to try it out with my Acer R11 and my charge HR.

Best Answer

where is the sync button or the place to sync my fit bit blaze on my dell Chromebook I have done it before but i cannot seem to find it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go to add it as an acceptable device a chromebook is not listed...any suggestions?

Best Answer

I have never heard of needing to add it as an acceptable device, what do you mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

with the newer updates, you can install google play apps on them, so you can install the fitbit app, i have not personally done it, but i know it IS possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a way to connect a Fitbit to a Chromebook. If you use one of the newer Acer R11 Chromebooks, they run Android OS. you can download the app off of the google play store, and sync your Fitbit to it. I am using a Fitbit Charge HR, but I am fairly certain that other trackers will work as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Acer Chromebook 14 synched flawlessly with my Alta HR for months, then ceased doing so June 29th, with no synch doing since.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can back you up on this! I just connected my Acer C910 series Chromebook (CB) to my new Fitbit Alta this AM. I, too, downloaded the app from Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitbit.FitbitMobile&hl=en_US.  I don't think this would be possible with older CBs or newer ones without Blue Tooth or Android capabilities. There are no detailed instructions for installing on Chromebook so I had to feel my way using tidbits from various message board posts. So , yes, there is a way with the right Chromebook and a lot of perseverance!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Forums @phe13. I apologize for the delayed response and appreciate your feedback, comments and perseverance. 

We really take feedback seriously and thank you for sharing your workaround steps in order to connect your Zip with your Acer C910 series. 

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

ok.....the reason you can't sync with chromebook is because you have to have GPS to sync, yes chromebook is just you phone with a keyboard but you have to have GPS to sync the fitbit app and the fitbit device. So the answer above is useless. What chromebook needs to do is get GPS on it...... this is actually not a fitbit issue.

It isn't Fitbit.......this is a chromebook issue, you sync your fitbit with you phone and you need GPS, so the fact that your chromebook doesn't support GPS is the problem. I figured this out myself, sucks but this is in fact not fitbits fix!

Moderator edit: updated post and format. 

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to us and for your feedback @IrishPhenixGoogle changed its permission requirements beginning with Android OS 6.0 (Marshmallow). As a result the locations permission is necessary to sync your tracker with your Android device.

I appreciate this information and your participation in our forums. Robot LOL

Please let me know if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You know very well that we are trying to synch with out chromebooks, and that chromebooks use the chrome OS. Please be straight with us: tell us that we CAN'T pair our charge 2 with out Chromebook because FitBit won't talk to the Chrome OS, period. This is NOT a solution, this is a failure of FitBit software. Please get with the world and upgrade your out-of-date software.

Sincerely, rattytwo

Best Answer
My history is that my FitBit synced fine with my Chromebook for months, then failed to do so and has since resisted all my attempts to re-establish the synchronization conversation between devices.
Best Answer

Hey there @Mogs84 and @veryagedcanada  thanks for stopping by and for confirming which device you're using to sync.

Our team routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit. Your Chromebook is not in the list of tested devices, in order to confirm that a device will work properly it needs to meet the minimum operating system requirements.

In case that you have the option to use a different device to confirm that your Fitbit is working as it should, please take a look at the steps in this article: Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

Please keep in mind that when a device is not supported we cannot guarantee its functionality with the Fitbit app. It might work at a certain time and then it can stop working out of nowhere after an update. This is because the app is not optimized to that device and any change could impact the performance. 

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Just got a Dell Inspiron Chromebook from Costco. Screwed around trying to get Fitbit to sync, but no joy - and it turns out that the Google Chrome operating system isn't compatible with Fitbit. I think this is a bit odd since the Chromebooks are now so ubiquitous. But even odder is why the Fitbit people didn't warn us about this. Just when I got a really cool Chromebook the Fitbit folks decide to go back a decade or so. 

About syncing: Windows 10 has a habit of pretending it can't pair with or find the Charge 2.Some days it syncs right away, and some days I have to run troubleshooter, or even restart. This desktop machine is an HP Envy with a fast processor, lots of smarts - so maybe it's just the Bluetooth is flaky. Well, no. If I take off the Charge 2 and put it in the charger plugged into a USP port on the HP and then start the AP it syncs right away. Oh yeah - I push the button on the watch for 5 seconds in the charger so it shows the firmware version.

Remember those Scientific American articles about pigeons learning to stand on one foot to get a kernel of corn? 

AgedinCanada 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us @veryagedcanada. I apologize for the delayed response and really appreciate your comments. 

I'm glad to hear that you got a Dell Inspiron Chromebook. As we mentioned before, is not posible syncing Fitbit devices with that OS at this time. 

Thank you for your feedback and patience. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Should say my Fitbit doesn't sync easily with Win 10 either, and yes I realize that the Chromebook is out of the picture. But I did discover that putting the tracker in its charger in the morning seems to greatly improve syncing success. It also sometimes helps to go to Settings/Update & Security/Troubleshoot/Bluetooth and run the troubleshooter there..

VeryagedCanada

Best Answer

Hey @veryagedcanada, thanks for the update and for all the troubleshooting steps that you're trying with your Zip. I'd also suggest to check the recommendations here, If you need further help syncing with your computer.

I'll be around if you need anything else. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to say something more. Failure to sync with the Charge 2 has imposed an unwanted and stressful hassle on me almost every day for a few years now. This has to stop, so I'm considering giving up on Fitbit altogether and purchasing a tracker from another company. Having lived through the early days of personal computing during the 70's and 80's I resented back then the grab-the-money-and-run attitude of the numerous small players in the CPM market place. It's disappointing to run into it again 50 years on, and it may be time for everyone to simply drop it, United Healthcare notwithstanding. Any benefits deriving from the Fitbit tracker are immediately dissipated by the stressful sync problem.

Veryagedcanada   

Best Answer