Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Zone Minutes anomaly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.....

I recently did a short treadmill workout lasting 28 minutes. I started and stopped the workout via my Charge 5. Afterwards the app shows the details correctly except that it says I earned 46 active zone minutes - for a 28 minute workout! 🤔 If I log into my Fitbit dashboard on the web the workout shows everything correctly including the active zone minutes - so it's indicating incorrectly within the app only.

Anyone have anything similar?

Thanks!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@NoddyPilot   I apologize if I am misreading your post.  Active zone minutes give you 1x the minutes in the fat burn zone and 2x the minutes in the cardio and peak zones.  This is how you can earn 46 active zone minutes in a 28 minute workout.  The web dashboard doesn't display active zone minutes.  It shows active minutes.  I suspect that your web dashboard shows 28 active minutes.  If you look at your mobile app dashboard, you will see that the zone minute icon is three "^"s stacked on top of each other.  The active minute icon on the web dashboard is the lightning bolt.  They aren't the same.

A few years ago, the CDC and the WHO changed their activity guidelines.  Both recommend 150 minutes of moderate activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity per week or a combination of the two.  The active zone minutes of your Charge 5, and all the newer Fitbits, make it easy to meet your activity goal.  I also want to point out that active zone minutes uses an equation uses your resting heart rate as part of the equation.  The zone minute heart rate zones are different from the active minute zones.

Your mobile app dashboard is the correct information.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@NoddyPilot   I apologize if I am misreading your post.  Active zone minutes give you 1x the minutes in the fat burn zone and 2x the minutes in the cardio and peak zones.  This is how you can earn 46 active zone minutes in a 28 minute workout.  The web dashboard doesn't display active zone minutes.  It shows active minutes.  I suspect that your web dashboard shows 28 active minutes.  If you look at your mobile app dashboard, you will see that the zone minute icon is three "^"s stacked on top of each other.  The active minute icon on the web dashboard is the lightning bolt.  They aren't the same.

A few years ago, the CDC and the WHO changed their activity guidelines.  Both recommend 150 minutes of moderate activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity per week or a combination of the two.  The active zone minutes of your Charge 5, and all the newer Fitbits, make it easy to meet your activity goal.  I also want to point out that active zone minutes uses an equation uses your resting heart rate as part of the equation.  The zone minute heart rate zones are different from the active minute zones.

Your mobile app dashboard is the correct information.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

Well that’s a fantastic explanation and clears up my misunderstanding.

Thank you so much!

Best Answer

@NoddyPilot   I'm happy that I could help.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely great answer, and what I came here to find out, too.  The next question, of course, is why aren't they the same?  Is this just the webapp hanging on to the older calculation for the legacy devices?  It's slightly dispiriting to look at the Dashboard and see such low numbers. 

Just wondered if this had been discussed as something Google is now looking to modify?  Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DerringDo   Your observation about the legacy devices is a good one.  Fitbit stopped updating the web dashboard a while ago -- notice that you can't even get a Sleep Score on the web dashboard.  Fitbit's newer features like the Health Metrics and the Stress Management Score are also only on the mobile app.  Any Google discussion is internal, but web dashboard updates seem unlikely.  BTW, Community Council members aren't employees, so we don't have additional insight.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

Yes, I know this is a customer forum, just hoping people who spend more time here than I do might have heard more.  Thanks again. 

With Google now involved, I figure we're all in for some changes soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DerringDo   Any rumors discussed here are just that -- rumors.  Employees sign an NDA and they don't start or support rumors.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes