Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App only lets me add a maximum of 500 grams.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is the portion-size maxing out at 500 grams a bug or just a really bad design choice?  Right now the only way (that I've found) to enter a portion size of 501 grams, for example, is to create two entries - one with 500 grams, and then a second with 1 gram.  It just seems needlessly frustrating.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I suspect it is a design choice.  Why not just change to 0.51 kilograms?  Precision to the nearest gram at that portion size is kind of meaningless.  

Side note ... that's a lot of mushrooms in one sitting!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes
0.51 kg is 510 not 501 grams, and you can’t enter 0.51 kilograms into Fitbit either. Fitbit makes you enter fractions for volumes less than 1 of any unit.

I don’t agree with your point that accuracy matters under 500 grams but doesn’t matter over 500 grams.

If you actually use the metric system you will bump into this limit quite a bit, for example the two boneless skinless chicken breasts in my fridge are 547 grams.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m sorry.  I wasn’t trying to pick a fight.  I guess I just don’t think the difference between 0.5 kg, and 501 grams, or 0.55 kg and 547 grams is enough to matter when it comes to weight management or nutrition goals.  But I applaud your dedication to precision.  

I use MyFitnessPal and just checked — it does allow you to enter 501 grams.  So you may want to consider setting up an MFP account and linking it to Fitbit. The programs work together very well, and I think it is a little better as a food entry program in a number of other ways as well — particularly in that it allows you to see daily macros in grams instead of just % of total in the app.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are quite a few of us who use food scales to measure portions. When you're counting calories for weight loss putting in approximate numbers is a great way to set yourself up for failure. 

It may seem harmless to round down from 547g to 500g, but it's not for people who are trying to stick to very strict calorie limits. 

Fitbit built a calorie counter into their application, I'm not sure why they'd half **ahem** it by putting a 500 gram limit on the input.  That's why I'm asking them on their help forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @drewmack, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. It's nice to see you as well @Baltoscott, thanks for all your help. Smiley Happy

@drewmack, we really appreciate our members's input and feedback and I would like to thank you for yours. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I understand how important it is for you to be able to add more than 500 grams for certain foods, as at this moment, this is only possible through the Food Section of the online Dashboard. At this moment, I would like to encourage you to submit your insight as a suggested idea, where members of the Community can comment and vote for it so it can be implemented in the future.

Feel free to share your suggestion with your friends and family to add more votes and comments, this is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team.

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply @MarcoGFitbit.

The fact that Fitbit considers supporting the metric system as a feature for consideration, instead of recognizing that users can only log calories properly using metric units on the website instead of the app - is a bug that should be quickly fixed, really tells me all I need to know about Fitbit.  

If you can't be bothered to create a bug report, I certainly can't be bothered to submit a "suggested idea" and wait for other Fitbit users to vote it up for consideration.  It's much quicker for me to just return the Fitbit to the store and download a different calorie counter app that doesn't have broken support for metric units. 

I appreciate the quick reply though.  It would have sucked if this had taken more than 30 days and I couldn't return the Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @drewmack, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and would like to thank you for your feedback. Our team is constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from the Community members. 

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences this situation has caused you, if there's anything else I can help you with, feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes