Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breastfeeding/Nursing tracker

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I'm trying to add breastfeeding/pumping to my activities but the activity log isn't giving me an option to either select nursing/breastfeeding or create a new activity. I've read before you can go into settings and select that you're nursing. Anyone have any experience with this?? Thanks!!
Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

A warm welcome to the Community @Hharris18. If you are breastfeeding, in Our Article you will find some tips about this. You need to change your settings (see attached image) and if you want to manually log this activity, you need to do the following from a computer:

1. Go to Your Dashboard to see your activity log. Start typing in the search box under 'Log Activities".
2. Enter any physical activity you find yourself doing often.
3. After adding the activity, there will be the option to customize the activity via duration, distance (if applicable) start time and calories.

Breastfeeding.png

Keep the stepping up! Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I have been manually logging my nursing sessions - per the suggestion above. I also selected the nursing option in my dashboard. I read the article and I am curious about this statement:

"Note that the Nursing setting on your dashboard does not affect your calorie burn."

Can someone explain to me (or point me to the correct article) about what the nursing setting DOES affect? Many thanks!

Best Answer

I have the Charge and I do not see an option to enter info about being pregnant or nursing under the "Body" section of my Profile. Where do I enter this data? 

I also am interested in understanding the meaning of this statement as well:

"Note that the Nursing setting on your dashboard does not affect your calorie burn."

Best Answer

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I am breastfeeding/pumping and have yet to figure out to add this option to my fitbit.

Best Answer

@Noey03 @Amydgdg @katenotkatie The nursing/breastfeeding options are no longer available. Since they had no effect on any data, they were removed to prevent any potential confusion.

Hope this provides some clarification.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

It does. Thank you @DerrickS. Just stinks because that our bodies burn calories while producing milk and we have to increase our calories to keep us going and our children.

Best Answer
Right?! I'm pumping for twins, upwards up 75 oz a day! Even at just 60 oz I read I'm burning between 1,000- 1,200 calories a day. If it don't eat enough, my body hangs on to everything. I need to be able to add this activity!!!
Best Answer

I've just created a nursing exercise activity. I figure that each one is
about 100 calories (can't imagine what that would be like for twins! you go
lady!) and log it while I'm nursing or pumping. It's a dumb work around,
but it's also dumb that there was an option in the first place that did
nothing. YMMV, hope that this helps.

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Just a suggestion... It doesn't have to be anything complicated! When choosing your calorie plan it should just have an option for nursing so it adds extra calories to your goal! I chose a higher calorie count to make up for this, but it was telling me that it would take me longer to reach my goal 😕 I know the Diet Analysis tool from cengage learning did really well with recommendations for DRIs for pregnant or nursing women. Fitbit should consult with someone from there to be more breastfeeding friendly! From googling this topic, I see there are alot of pregnant or nursing moms using the devices.

Best Answer
How did you create a new exercise katenotkatie? When I try to add an exercise it does not recognize "nursing" or "breastfeeding" and I don't see any option to create my own.
Best Answer
You ever fig it out?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Founded on what evidence? An Extra 500 calories are used daily while breastfeeding.

Best Answer

They worded it strangely in their response. Basically what they were saying is that by selecting the (previously available) option of nursing on the body page, that it did not change your calories needed or burned. Many people were selecting nursing and then either eating too much or too little because fitbit didn't (and still doesn't) have a way to adjust the calories automatically to account for nursing. Does that make sense?

Best Answer

And I'm nursing twins and workout 6 days a week. I would LOVE a feature to automatically account for the nursing calories needed and burned.

Best Answer

Derrick, appreciate the reply, but you didn't address the question.  People don't care that it was removed.  We already know that.  Like me, I'm certain we've all spent lots of time scouring the app/website looking for this feature before we give up and come here for answers.  The question people want to know is:  1) Why did it (nursing option) get removed instead of given real functionality?  2) Will FitBit eventually decide to care about it's customers who are mothers and offer this functionality?

This is a simple implementation.  You already had the toggle for nursing.  Now give the mother some modifiers.  If nursing is toggled on, allow the mother to enter how many calories she expects that to burn and how many calories she needs to take in.  Set it once and the calculation happens day to day behind the scenes.  It really is that simple. 

Best Answer
Has there been any update on this?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow Fitbit, please make yourself more customer friendly and at least try to cater to the needs and requests of your customers. You are already loosing users at a rapid pace due to very poor syncing/updating with the Charge/ChargeHR (and others). I am really trying to stick with my Fitbit and giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping you'll come through with better & better things for your users just like this Breastfeeding toggle that does something... Wouldn't take much from a competent programmer.
Best Answer
Any updates on this feature yet? Would be extremely helpful!!!
Best Answer
I havent heard of anything 😞

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.
Best Answer