Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breastfeeding/Nursing tracker

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I'm trying to add breastfeeding/pumping to my activities but the activity log isn't giving me an option to either select nursing/breastfeeding or create a new activity. I've read before you can go into settings and select that you're nursing. Anyone have any experience with this?? Thanks!!
Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

I agree with everyone, I just got a fitbit to help me lose weight after a baby, but our bodies are really sensitive to needing enough calories to produce enough milk. We

Best Answer

How is that true, it should effect the calories in many ways....http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/. "Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake."

As others have stated, other apps allow you to track your breastfeeding time and therefore show the amount of calories expended during that time.

VERY DISAPPOINTING THAT THIS APP DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THIS TIME IN OUR LIVES. I've never had more of a reason to watch what I eat and to exercise but it has to be safe or jeopardize the food for our babies. In researching this, I found MANY women complaining about this in 2014 and still in 2017 there is nothing? I am going to have to use another app to track my food, which makes these seem like a useless app to me.

Best Answer

Your statement  is  false or should  be altered to state that the fitbit tracker not accurate  as to where the nursing information  is being applied.  It has been  shown  that nursing burns around 500 calories a day.  

These woman  and  myself are not asking to document  that we nurse so that you know we do.  We are asking that there be an option  that will count the calorie  burned for the day as it affects the amount of calories we should  consume and burn to attain goals we have set up.  

Please  do your research  and  make the needed adjustments to the fit bit tracker app.

Sincerely, 

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Why has nursing been taken off? As a nursing mother you burn calories upto 500 a day. Surely this information is relevant to using a Fitbit? It would also be extremely helpful if could help to log feeds, times, sides etc. Just a thought. ☺️

Best Answer

But eating too few calories can affect milk supply.  Breastfeeding uses calories.

Best Answer

Doesn't effect on data? An average of 500 calories are burned during breastfeeding/pumping. This effects the amount of calories going out when monitoring your calories in and out.

@DerrickS wrote:

@Noey03 @Amydgdg @katenotkatie The nursing/breastfeeding options are no longer available. Since they had no effect on any data, they were removed to prevent any potential confusion.

Hope this provides some clarification.

Best Answer

Hi there! Just wondering why breastfeeding was removed as an activity. A nursing mother needs to take in more calories per day than when she is not nursing. It would be helpful for me to be able to track breastfeeding to account for those calories burned. If you have any information on this I would appreciate it!

Best Answer

Hi Derrick

I think your response has been misleadingly posted as a solution. Women here are asking for an option to have the calories burned during breastfeeding recognised so their calculations are more accurate. I am now one of those women.

The fact that there was a mistake in the original programming which meant that nursing ‘had no effect on any data’ is not a reason not to provide an option to track breastfeeding.

Please could fitbit pay attention to its female customers and provide this option pronto?

many thanks

Best Answer

Thank you so much! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey.

I have developed a clock face called Breastfeeding Buddy, available for Versa and Versa Lite devices. Just thought I'd share it with everyone, please check it out.

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/dd75a709-7305-47c8-9748-a54260387191

I'm planning to introduce additional features, e.g. nappy changes and sleeps in future updates. Thanks!

Best Answer

I don’t understand how it doesn’t have any effect... breast feeding burns up to 500 calories a day - plus, if you are using a Fitbit to track calories for weight loss, you need to maintain a minimum calorie intake to ensure you continue producing milk. Why would they ever remove this option

Best Answer

I was trying to find info about this as I am currently nursing my infant. I also pump at work.  Why would this have no effect? As far as I know, each ounce of breast milk has approx 20 calories and it takes approx 200 calories to produce the milk.  I exclusively pumped my first baby for one year and would pump 40 oz on average daily, that’s approx 1000 extra calories.  Saying that breastfeeding or nursing has no effect is naive and makes me question the research done to put together this device’s technology and its accuracy. 

Best Answer

I’m blown away at the the gap here. Fitbit is missing out on an entire market of people who would buy a Fitbit if this were integrated. Even more so if they added in the ability to track babies diapers and feeds all in one place, let alone just adding a basic breastfeeding activity and “nursing” category for caloric intake. I’m even more blown away at the dismissive mindset that breastfeeding had no impact on data. Clearly it was never integrated properly with real science behind the set up data because it should have significant impacts to the data. I’m disappointed in Fitbit. After purchasing the Charge 5 recently, I was looking forward to being able to track my health - like Really track it. Evidently, it’s not an inclusive as they make out. 

Please see my above comment. There is a massive market being missed here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yup! That’s why I switched to Apple Watch since the delay is now going on 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes