Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories Deficit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello guys,

can anyone clarify the calories deficit please.

”Does the calories left already accounted for the calories deficit you set in the app, or you have to calculate the calories deficit yourself?” 

I tried to understand stand the explanation Fitbit has, but I wasn’t sure whether the deficit has already been accounted for.

thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Here is the way I understand this: Fitbit takes your deficit goal and pro-rates it linearly though the day starting at midnight (0 expected deficit), at noon (half of expected deficit) and midnight (full deficit). The algorithm takes your total calorie expenditure and intake AT THE TIME YOU CHECK IT and compare it to the expected value on the pro-rated line to determine if you are over or under the deficit goal. Be careful as this number can have wild swings before and after a meal or a workout. 

The calories left to eat takes this one step further and the algorithm looks at your past history to estimate how much you will expend for the rest of the day (until midnight) and uses this estimate to determine how many calories you can consume to meet your deficit goal. 

While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer