Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find a way to re-pair my Fitbit with my iPad app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All

Just travelled with my Fitbit Charge 2 for the first time today and had some problems with time zones which I won't bore you with as I think I've lost a day's worth of correct data as it's overwritten Thursday's data with yesterday's/Friday's data, but not even with the correct data bit lower totals, which is annoying as at least two days are affected, but there's not much I can do about that now. I just need to sort it for going forwards as I'm now on holiday, on a ski/hiking holiday and I wanted these days to all count as I should get some good HR and steps in!

However, by trying to sort the time zone issue out I disconnected my device from my Bluetooth list on my iPad by pressing 'Forget this Device', which was a suggestion I found on these boards which might have helped (it hasn't fully). Anyway, I cannot now find a way to re-pair my Fitbit as I already have an account and don't want to delete the existing device from the app. I can only find instructions for pairing for the first time, not how to pair again if you've already got your account and device set up.

I turn Bluetooth on and it searches for other devices but doesn't find the Fitbit even though I'm holding it to the iPad. I have also tried resetting the Fitbit and the iPad and have the latest app installed.

Any other clues on how to possibly solve this Bluetooth issue would be very gratefully appreciated and I'll have to figure out the time zone problem later! TIA!

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

You say you removed the tracker from the Bluetooth menu,np problems. 

You haven't removed it from your account, this is very good. 

I would do two things I would restart the tracker http://help.fitbit.com/?q=restart then restart the iPad. 

Now lets open the Fitbit app, log into your current Fitbit Account if you need to. The App will search for your tracker, hopefully will find it, then sync You might get a message that the tracker needs to be paired, if so just hit the OK and let the app do the pair up. You can not pair the tracker like you would pair a speaker, the app has to do this. 

Now as long as the tracker has not been removed from the Fitbit account you'll have 30 days before data will be lost. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Rich

Thanks again for coming back to me with helpful suggestions.

I've just tried resetting the Fitbit and the IPad and then gone into the app, as you suggested, and tried syncing. The blue syncing line goes across as though it was syncing but it doesn't actually sync any of the data and also doesn't indicate that it can't find the Fitbit. It's showing the FB fully charged, when it is isn't also, so I know they're not speaking. 

I've tried accessing my main desktop account (via the Internet on my iPad) to try on that but can't seem to find the syncing button at all in that (probably missing something obvious as it had to be there somewhere!).

Thank you for advising me not to remove it from thfrom account ad that would clearly have been disastrous! Hopefully I can crack this within 30 days but off on first major hike day today so hoping I don't lose today's data as well!

if you have any more thoughts, all would be appreciated! Am now kicking myself from removing it from the Bluetooth list!

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@designbod  You don't have the Fitbit connected to any other device do you?  Perhaps a cell phone?  If you have a cell nearby, perhaps check the phone's bluetooth to be sure the Fitbit didn't somehow connect to the phone.  (If it did, that would prevent it from connecting to your iPad as they can only connect to one device at a time.)

Kelly | Oklahoma
Alta HR, Blaze, Flex 2, Charge 2, Charge, and Aria * IPhone 7+

Best Answer

Hi there, 

Yes, I do have it syncing with my mobile phone as well, but that has been the case for a few months now (since I got the Fitbit) and it used to sync well both to my iPad and my phone. I tried syncing it to my phone yesterday when I was having all the time zone issues and had lost the connection to the iPad, and whilst it did still sync to the mobile, the data was totally wrong, so it was wrong on both the phone and the iPad but they were both different and wrong!

i haven't tried syncing it to my phone today in case the phone also has an issue and it loses all my data from today (which is actually a record-breaking day for me so I don't want to risk it!)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and whether you think I need to un-pair the Fitbit from the phone if that might make it sync to the iPad?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@designbod  I would try turning off bluetooth on the phone, then try syncing again to the iPad.

Kelly | Oklahoma

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I have tried this quite a few times as don't keep the Bluetooth on on the phone all the time.

Just can't seem to find a way to make the iPad 'search' for the device or the iPad app state it can't find the Fitbit. Rather frustrating!

Thanks for the suggestions though 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@designbod  That is odd - your iPad should "look" for the tracker when you open the app and it tries to sync.  You could always try setting up the tracker again as a replacement on the iPad.  

Kelly | Oklahoma

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @Kmransom123 that app should try send sync when opening it uup. Next time in the app tap on the picture of your tracker from the main screen. This will take you to your settings, where you can tap on the tracker again to go to the trackers settings. You will find the sync now. 

First led make sure that the app is up to date. 

Normally when a tracker isn't syncing it us as iced to restart the phone or in your case the iPad, then restart the tracker, http://help.fitbit.com/?q=restart 

If it still doesn't work the the next steps include shutting the Phone or iPad completely off and/or removing the tracker from the Bluetooth. I still feel this would not hurt things. 

About the web at Fitbit.com there indeed is no sync button, you did not miss it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Both and many thanks for your further suggestions.

Rich, thanks for confirming about the website and syncing. Also, I have already tried un-pairing the Fitbit from the Bluetooth (when trying to resolve the time zone issues) but that then gave me the further issue of not being able to re-pair it again as the app wouldn't 'look for it'. After much tinkering I've finally found that by turning on the 'All day sync' the app finally gave me the option to (re)set up the Bluetooth connection once again, so this was a start.

However, it then still wouldn't sync (despite trying lots of restarting of the Fitbit, iPad and switching Bluetooth on and off in different orders).

Found an article in Help that reminded me the Location Sevices not only had to be on but Fitbit has to be given permission to access that. Re-swtiched all of that on as I've come abroad and think perhaps iPad had auto switched that off when detecting a new country perhaps.

But still it won't sync!

Am waiting to hear back from Fitbit support via Messenger as cannot call from here. Will update if they come up with anything useful as may help others that might come across this thread.

Wasting a lot of vacation time on this annoying issue and other half getting testy .... Hope I can get it resolved soon as hiking / ski days' data not currently being recorded and already lost two days worth of data 😠

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anytime an app needs to do something on the phone permission needs to have been given. 

As for location services and syncing, this is a restriction put in by Google on Android phones. 

However for your tracker or app to access the phones GPS permission to this is needed in ios. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Anytime an app needs to do something on the phone permission needs to have been given. 

As for location services and syncing, this is a restriction put in by Google on Android phones. 

However for your tracker or app to access the phones GPS permission to this is needed in ios. 

Yep, that's all now in place, Rich (as have an Android phone) but still no dice with syncing 😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

@designed I thought we where using an iPad? 

Please choose one device and at least turn the Bluetooth of on the other devices that may have been connected to the tracker in the past. 

Best Answer

Hi @Rich_Laue

Apologies, I'm confusing the issue as was referring to my mobile (Android) which I was also able to sync it to (whilst also syncing it to my iPad) in the past. However, I'm trying to get it to sync to my IPad now (and had to ensure the Location and permissions were on for that also). 

I don't want to sync it to my mobile as when I tried that a couple of days ago when this issue first arose it transferred over incorrect data which overwrote the correct data.

The Bluetooth on my phone has been switched off completely since then so shouldn't be interfering.

I've since heard back from Fitbit support and their only solution so far is to set up my tracker as a replacement tracker which would mean losing my data from the past couple of (ski/hike) days, which I really don't want to do. 

I'm inclined to wait till I'm back home in front of my computer and see if I can find a way to sync it to that (it has Bluetooth). Do you think there might be a way?

I just hope I don't get back after 10 days and lose all the high activity data!

😳

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@designbod setting up a tracker as a replacement to itself should not loose any in synced days. 

Removing the tracker from your account and setting it up as a new device, might cause the loss of data. 

Best Answer