Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cardio fitness score suddenly dropped

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am a religious user of my fitbit charge 2, and I noticed recently that my cardio fitness score had dropped like 6-8 points. 

I have been frustrated with my score because it has not changed in the several months since I first set it. Now, it's even telling me you go on a 10 minute run to set my score like it did when  first bought my device. 

My theory is that the app has trouble calculating my score because my workouts are typically playing pick-up basketball or taking fitness classes - I rarely go on runs that I track with GPS.  Improving my cardio score has been a goal, but not seeing any changes, then seeing it abruptly drop, has been frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118

I’ve gone from 5km to 8km feel fitter than ever my stamina is better than ever and I’ve gone from almost excellent to now average lol! I think the longer distances make it less because I guess your heart rate stays up for longer?! I have no idea but it’s bothering me a lot! I was in a better cardio fitness range according to Fitbit before when I could hardly to 5 mins running 🤷🏽‍:female_sign: 

Best Answer
I agree with you. I did notice that as I started to run longer distances my fit level started to dropped . Now I can run over 8 miles and do spinning class three times at week and I’m still at 45 and I used to be at 49 when I just ran a 5k. I don’t check it that much anymore. 😅

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I noticed that somebody else mentioned that their score dropped after a treadmill run - and realised that this was the only thing different I'd done - at the gym last week unusually for me I hit the run button on my Charge2 for a mile on the treadmill - this seems to have been what prompted the drop. 

One thing that hasn't been made clear anywhere - I know FitBit state that for more accurate tracking you need to run for 10 minutes with GPS connected several times (so please don't anyone feel the need to copy & paste this information back to me as so often seems to be the response to these sorts of questions!)  - but does this mean you also have to hit the specific button to tell the Charge that you're running, rather than (as I usually do) just letting it work that out for itself with the increased pace & HR? I can certainly see why it might confuse the issue if a treadmill ruin is involved as the distance recorded by the GPS would be tiny compared to the increase in HR.

As someone else said above - I deleted that single treadmill run and my score has returned to where it was. Previously I had gone from 41-45, Excellent (age 45, 5'1" 130lbs, UK10) down to 36 (Good - and with FitBit suggesting a full STONE weightloss to improve things!) So similar to what hhelenhelen mentions. 

Best Answer

@EssexHebridean  This Help article should get you to the answers you are looking for.

But to help you now,

• The cardio fitness score will show a range of numbers, unless you do a GPS connected Run
  • You must set the tracker to Run on the multi-sport mode
  • Running on the treadmill while set on Run will mess things up -- you ran a virtual distance, but didn't go anywhere, according to the GPS.  If you are on a treadmill, choose Treadmill
  • Auto recognized runs do not figure into the cardio fitness score.  It must be a GPS connected Run
Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you @LZeeW - that's really helpful - not least as somehow the treadmill mode had totally passed me by!  I usually use Strava for tracking outdoor runs which suits me better overall - but might try tracking tonight's run via the Charge2 and see what I think. Now to do a bit of digging and find out whether I can use both together without completely baffling one or the other! 

I had a sneaking feeling that it was the GPS/footfall thing with the treadmill that was causing the problem - and now I've realised about the specific treadmill setting that makes even more sense! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ran last night - outdoors this time - and used the Charge2 to track it. The link back to Strava worked brilliantly and almost immediately afterwards my cardio fitness score updated to an "actual" rather than a range score. Thanks to all who posted on this subject. I'll be making far more use of my FitBit for tracking in the future and for the time being at least I'm putting off purchasing a Garmin or similar while I work out whether the fitbit will perform the same task to the extent that I need. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am SO glad others have had this problem (I thought I was having heart issues or something. lol)
My score was 47 about four days ago and it plummeted to a 35, and I am actually working out MORE now than I was before. I will try all the suggestions. Thanks!

Best Answer

I found this happened to me.  I'm not much of a runner, but I walk my dogs and go to the gym to lift weights and do bootcamp style classes.  But recently started training for a 5K.  As soon as I started running (outside, with GPS connected on my Ionic), my fitness score dropped and instead of being in an excellent "range", I now have a "good" score.  

So this makes sense that it would be more accurate now than it was previously when I wasn't running at all.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just went in and deleted ONE run that wasn't tracked by GPS and my score immediately went back to 46. Go figure.

Best Answer

I have had other issues with fitbit ionic, my long runs not tracking properly even tho my gps signal was good, so I sold it and changed to garmin vivoactive 3, ran the same route and tracked no problem! Fitbit seem to be moving away from a sports watch to a smart watch, which is a shame! I am Running my first marathon next week and I don't want any issues with tracking which I couldn't guarantee fitbit wouldn't do 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! This solved my problem!! I usually run on a treadmill too, ran outside 1 time and it dropped dramatically! I deleted that run and it went right back up! Thanks again!

Best Answer

It’s a bit suspicious that SO many of us have had the exact same thing happen. Im afraid your ‘solved’ answer doesn’t apply to all of us but all of us have had a marked drop in our cardio fitness score. I think probably the more accurate answer is FitBit have changed the parameters in the program but aren’t telling us. Why the secrecy I have no idea. If you just said we’ve done x y and z and this is what it’ll mean and do then we would all be happy and informed. A shame I think. 

Best Answer

Hello @Shazza16, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

We really appreciate our members's input and feedback and I would like to thank you for yours. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I appreciate you have voiced your opinion. 

Please note that our development team has not changed the way cardio fitness score. Your cardio fitness score is determined by your resting heart rate, age, gender, weight, and other personal information. When changes are made on anything Fitbit related or there's a new update about the app, trackers or watches, you will be able to see a pinned thread on the top of the board. 

If you're still having trouble with your cardio fitness score or cardio fitness level, please feel free to reply, I'll be happy to help. 

Happy stepping. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
Hi Marco
Thanks for your reply.
I still find it a bit strange that so many of us are experiencing the same thing but nothing has changed for us - in fact in some cases people’s RHR has gone down and their exercise levels have gone up.
I personally have gone from a steady Cardio Score of 50 - 54 (two figures) to a single straight 41 - a drop of 9 - 13 overnight!! I am doing nothing different and my RHR has not changed dramatically. Everything on all the other charts and graphs has remained steady and the same as ‘normal’ - apart from the Cardio Fitness Score.
I’m afraid if it’s not me, then it must be FitBit!
Regards
Sharon
Best Answer

Hi guys! My fitness score seems to drop and then go back up again and then drop. If I look at the graph there is a clear up and down cycle. I think maybe the menstrual cycle affects it for some women's resting heart rate.

Ultimately the best thing to do is to not look at it. Its inaccurate. Full stop. The watch is only a tool which is manipulated by certain factors such as runnung at level ground, but surely if you do hill runs you should be fitter? What about swimmers who cant wear it? 

If you feel fitter and feel good, thats your answer! The fitbit can only take you so far. It seems like it has helped make a lot of people feel fitter than ever so nice work all round xx 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely no disputes about the motivational quality of the FitBit and the fact that most of the figures (apart from the ones you actually input yourself) can be taken with a large pinch of salt. My dispute is that if they have a parameter to work out certain figures, then stick with it. Don’t change it overnight and pretend nothing’s changed! Love and hugs to our FitBit community. We have all changed for the better because of it. xx

Best Answer

No one talks about sleep or resting heart rate. I am wondering is that can also affect the score. Although I train hard and control stress fairly well, my sleep average has gone from 8.3 hours to around 7.3 hours. I take naps to compensate. Mt RHR has also gone up a few points. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m sure it’s all related but my score dropped literally overnight with no change to sleep, heart rate etc etc etc in the lead up to that drop. Coincidentally though there was a FitBit update around that time! 🤔🤔
Best Answer

I think this might well be the case for me. I’ve started running more this week, usually my week consists of two spin classes, three weights/circuit sessions and then occasionally a Parkrun on Saturday!! I’m trying to make it more of a thing and with an evening run every night this week, (nothing major I’m talking  2.5k one night, 5k the next) I’ve found my cardio score has

droped by 2 or 3! MUST be cos it’s getting a more accurate idea of my cardio fitness!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree that something isn’t right as last week I was quite stationary and my levels were 35-39 however this week I’ve been running for over 30 mins at a time, approx 4 - 6 times a day and my cardio fitness score has decreased. It’s only by 1 point but I personally would have thought it would have increased. I’m really disappointed also as it says to increase the score your exercise more, well I’ve certainly exceeded that! And I must point out that I have not done any updates in this time. I’ve sent an email to them, waiting for a reply but not expecting anything positive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes