Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 2 tracking distance incorrectly.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In the last 3 days my Charge 2 Fitbit has been recording totally inaccurately distance on my walk.  It has me walking an 7 and 8 minute mile which is impossible!  My usual walk is 1.5 miles and takes me 30 minutes.  Now it’s recording it as 3.24 miles in 30 minutes.  I use my iPhone 6s which is version 11.4.1.   I have no idea how to correct this.  Please help me!

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Unfortunately, I’m not able to help you, since I have the same problem. Took a 4 km bike ride yesterday, and the app shows the correct map but says it was only 0,08 km! I have an iPhone 8. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Citrona and @BonnieZin2, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for having the time to share your experience with us. Tell me, have you restarted your Charge 2 lately? Have you updated the Fitbit app recently? If so, please note that Fitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. We estimate your stride lengths using your height and sex. The Charge 2 also uses connected GPS and we evaluate the GPS data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If you prefer to measure your walking and running stride lengths yourself and enter them manually, see How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

Note that when you're tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps and stride length as described above until a GPS signal is found. To check that connected GPS is working correctly between the Charge 2 and your phone, please check the following article: Why isn't GPS working on my Fitbit device?

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

It had been tracking my walks perfectly since last December until suddenly it started reporting wacky results like a 7 minute mile so my usual 1.5 miles turned into double that.  My walking course didn’t change at all.  This was tracked by using the FitBit app and tapping on track exercise on my iPhone.  The article you suggested didn’t help me.  So I’ve been using the depress button on my watch for walk and taking my phone along and at least it’s tracking correctly that way although it doesn’t notify me when I reach a mile but I can live without that.  Just frustrating that things stop functioning properly like the food log in when it started giving different foods then what you entered.  So I had to get My Fit Pal to log my food correctly.  Hopefully nothing else will stop working.  Thanks anyway.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @BonnieZin2, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for coming back and provide more details about your issue. As you mentioned you're using MobileRun to track your runs, I would like to suggest you to check the following GPS-related settings on your mobile device. Note that a weak GPS signal may cause your route and other activity data to be inaccurate.

1. First, make sure you can track your run, walk, or hike when you're out of Wi-Fi range:
    1. Open Settings and tap Cellular.
    2. Make sure Cellular Data is turned on.
  2. Next, ensure that your GPS can continue tracking when your phone is locked:
    1. Open Settings and tap General.
    2. Tap Background App Refresh, find the Fitbit app, and make sure it is turned on.
  3. Lastly, make sure your phone can identify your location:
    1. Open Settings and tap Privacy.
    2. Tap Location Services and make sure it’s turned on.
    3. Find Fitbit in the app list and make sure it's set to While Using the App or Always. If you choose the Always setting, MobileRun will automatically restart when unexpectedly interrupted.

After checking all these points, try to start a new MobileRun and let me know if you're still having issues. Additionally, I will appreciate if you could elaborate more about the issue you're experiencing while logging food, more details and screenshots will be very helpful for me to check this further. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I'll be waiting to hear from you. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes