Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Surge not updating firmware (FBBluetoothErrorDomain error 8)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

title mostly says all about my problem. Fitbit app this morning says there's firmware update for my Surge but attempt to do the update fails with FBBluetoothErrorDomain error 8. I'm trying to do this update on iPhone6 with ios10.3.3 and Fitbit app version is 2.41.1. Firmware version inside my Surge says 16.34.5.14.

I tried with enabling classic bluetooth and without classic bluetooth as well as rebooting my phone and Surge but nothing seems to affect this error.

Anyone else ran into this? What does error 8 mean, would there be a way for me to go around it?

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

After about 6 hours trying to update every now and then problem mysteriously vanished. No idea why it suddenly started to work. If someone at fitbit end did something then 'thank you' 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ahuj

What is the firmware on your Surge now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my Surge in settings->version it says 16.34.6.1

Best Answer
0 Votes
Odd, I haven’t been offered this update, so I won’t be able to comment further.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having this issue - originally had error 18 then updated the app and tried a solution from another post by Margaret (removing device, turning bluetooth off, trying update again). Now I'm getting error 8 about 1/3 of the way through the update.

Help

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get the update to start, then it fails after a few seconds...tried it about a hundred times...

Best Answer

Having the same issue. Fitbit App can sync with my new Surge, but says I need an update. When I try to update, it fails and says FBBluetooothErrorDomain error 8. Tried to do update through Fitbit Connect instead and it just says "an unknown error has occurred" with no other information. A little frustrating to not be able to use a new devise.

Best Answer

Having the same issue.  Wonder it it's an issue on the Fitbit website?

Best Answer

I am in the same situation.  Very frustrating not being able to use a new device.  Help Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issues. I downloaded the Fitbit software to my Mac and was unable to finish set up. I tried both using the dongle and removing it, using just Bluetooth. I continued to receive error messages. 

I then tried the Fitbit app. Like others in this thread, I received the same error message. Very frustrating. 

Ive tried restarting my Fitbit surge and deleting and reinstalling the software. No resolution. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

We are having the same Error 8 issue with both the Mac computer and on mobile devices.  Fitbit sent a replacement Surge, but we are having the exact same issue. It’s incredibly frustrating that the device will sync but can’t update, so it’s stuck on the configuration screen and you can’t get past it.

Best Answer

Same problem here what gives Fitbit???

Best Answer

I too just received my second replacement Surge and am having the exact same issue, exact same BT error. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe how tired I am of restarting the tracker, the phone, the app...over, and over, and over again. No surprise they discontinued this model. We all paid very good money for what we thought would be a reliable tool for exercise but after three bad ones in a row, I'm ready to throw them all in the trash especially after the best FB would do is give me 50 percent off on ANOTHER device. Heck, standard margins are fifty percent and me thinks Fitbit's are higher so they're not losing a dime. Very sad, very sad.

KB

Best Answer

Hi Everyone - We are currently investing reports of Surge users unable to set up their tracker on iOS, and see: Error 24, followed by Error Domain Error 8. For updates on this issue please follow this thread. I'll be closing this thread as it is an older thread, please direct any comments to the above-mentioned thread. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes