Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS data is recorded if location services are set to "Always".

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Before the most recent update, I was able to have location services set to 'while using', and my runs would be mapped. Now they are not mapped unless I choose 'always on'. I'm not happy with having location services always on, especially when it was unnecessary in the past. Why has this changed, and can it be changed back?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @melgage. It's great to see a new member around, and I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks for the information provided, and let me help you with this. Let me share that the Fitbit app should be able to record your GPS information if the locations services are set to "Always" or "While using the app". Since this isn't happening, please make sure that your GPS can continue tracking when your phone is locked. This can be done by opening your phone's settings > General > Background App Refresh and toggle on the option for Fitbit app. Also, verify that your iPhone is connected to a strong WiFi connection or mobile data.

Once that's done, I'd recommend to try the following steps:

1. Force quit the Fitbit app on your iPhone.
  2. Reboot your iPhone and restart your Fitbit device.
  3. Open the Fitbit app and sync your Fitbit device.
  4. Try recording a GPS activity one more time.

Keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lizzy,

I've tried the solution below with no success.  Your description makes it sound like a bug that needs to be fixed. It doesn't appear to be a bug though. I get an actual error message when I try to start an exercise saying either "Location Services Limited: Please open settings and set location to 'Always Allow' for advanced tracker functionality." or "Location Access & Bluetooth Sharing: Set Allow Location Access to Always to track your exercise with GPS. Turn on Bluetooth Sharing to start a GPS exercise from your tracker" This has only started happening since the recent update.

thanks,

Annette

Best Answer

Hi @melgage. I'm glad to see you here again. I'm sorry for the delay in my response.

Thanks for trying the steps posted above, and I'm sorry that you're getting that error message. Since you've verified the settings posted above, please use the "Always" option when starting a GPS activity so you can sync your details in the Fitbit app. I understand how you might be feeling as this feature should be working well, and be sure that our team will review your feedback and improve the performance of the Fitbit app.

If you need anything else, feel free to let me know.

Best Answer

This issue is happening to me, too, and leaving GPS “always on” depletes my battery! PLEASE fix it so GPS works only when the app is open. Otherwise I’ll need to shop for a new device from a different company that doesn’t require me to keep my GPS always on. This feels like a privacy violation, in addition to the problem of diminishing  battery life. I am not happy with this change and having to remember to turn on GPS for a workout and turn it off after. It worked beautifully before and now it’s such a hassle. Why would Fitbit require GPS to always be on??

Best Answer

I have a charge 5. I have all the settings set as described by support in this thread, and my Fitbit will still not record my runs reliably. My phone is set to always allow gps. I’ve restarted everything. Returning this thing. Fitbit please work on this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes