Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to track GPS runs without a SIM card?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello 

I just bought a new phone, and would like to keep using my old iPhone when running.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to use the GPS run tracking feature using an iPhone without a SIM card?

Thanks!

D

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @olesatthewheel , for quite some time I used the "connected GPS" features with Fitbits with a phone with no SIM.

My experience was that my phone would not make an initial connection without wifi.  Oddly, once I connected phone GPS to Fitbit, then I needed to disconnect from wifi or the connecton would fail.  So my procedure, when, for instance I wanted to get a map of a run, was this.  

1. Turn Bluetooth OFF on the phone not coming with me.

2. On the SIM-free phone, connect to home wifi and turn Bluetooth on.

3. On Fitbit start exercise ("Run").  When GPS connection to phone is successful, turn wifi on SIM free phone off and start run.

Even though I never could create an initial connection without internet, I did find that it could re-connect when GPS dropped out (tall buildings, dense trees, etc) as long as that drop-out was not for too long.

I hope this helps!  Let us know how it works for you.

Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I don't know why it wouldn't, unless the phone is using both GPS sats and cell towers to pinpoint your location.

Best Answer

Hello @olesatthewheel I've moved your iOS question to the iOS board

Best Answer

Hi, @olesatthewheel , for quite some time I used the "connected GPS" features with Fitbits with a phone with no SIM.

My experience was that my phone would not make an initial connection without wifi.  Oddly, once I connected phone GPS to Fitbit, then I needed to disconnect from wifi or the connecton would fail.  So my procedure, when, for instance I wanted to get a map of a run, was this.  

1. Turn Bluetooth OFF on the phone not coming with me.

2. On the SIM-free phone, connect to home wifi and turn Bluetooth on.

3. On Fitbit start exercise ("Run").  When GPS connection to phone is successful, turn wifi on SIM free phone off and start run.

Even though I never could create an initial connection without internet, I did find that it could re-connect when GPS dropped out (tall buildings, dense trees, etc) as long as that drop-out was not for too long.

I hope this helps!  Let us know how it works for you.

Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Hello @olesatthewheel, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community. It's nice to see you too @Julia_G@Rich_Laue  and @SunsetRunner. 

@olesatthewheel, I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your question with us. As a friendly reminder, in case the instructions provided by @Julia_G were helpful for you, please mark her post as a solution. This will be very helpful for other members of the Community that might have the same inquiry as you.

If there's anything else we can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Followed your instructions using an old iPhone 4 and it’s worked a treat. Great, thanks very much.

Best Answer
0 Votes