Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My sleep logs are not being recorded correctly.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

App is missing much of my sleep. If I go to bed at midnight it might not start keeping track until 3 AM. Then I get a message that I’m not sleeping enough. 

How does the fit bit know you are sleeping? Maybe I  fall asleep with a higher heart rate? Or I’m moving around too much? Does sleep apnea affect the fit bits sleep tracking?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Hello @Bobsax, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Tell me, which tracker are you currently using? Have you tried to restart it yet? Please keep in mind that sleep autodetection is based on your movement. When you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device assumes that you’re asleep. Additional data—such as the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior (such as rolling over, etc.)—help confirm that you’re asleep. Morning movement tells your tracker that you’re awake so it's possible that if you move a lot during the night due to sleep apnea, this might have an impact on your sleep records. 

Additionally, the Fitbit app currently has in-app error notifications that provide an explanation for why you aren't receiving Sleep Stages on any given night. This is meant to provide insight into what might be occurring to cause this.The error messages are the following:

1. We need more than 3 hours of sleep to reliably calculate your sleep stages. Learn more
  2. Your tracker couldn't get a consistent heart rate reading while you slept. Learn more 
  3. We couldn’t generate sleep stages for this sleep. Please try again tomorrow. Learn more

When you tap on Learn more, you will be able to get more information about why your tracker didn't record sleep stages. Additionally, I'd like to suggest the following:

• For any of the nights you were expecting to see Sleep Stages, did you ever click on the "Begin Sleep Now" or "Add Sleep Log" functions within the Fitbit App?
    • This is important to note because your tracker uses auto-detection to track Sleep Stages; so there's no need to try and remember to click on anything before falling asleep! 
  • Do you have at least 3 consecutive hours of sleep?
    • This is important to note because you typically won't see sleep stages if you are waking up multiple times through out the night or taking short naps.
  • Your tracker's battery isn't at a critically low level prior to falling asleep.
  • Your device is tracking and syncing heart rate data.
    • This is important because Sleep Stages uses a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. 
  • Your Fitbit App is updated to the latest version.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes