Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option for steps in challenges to ignore timezones and use UTC.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The Fitbit app definitely has bugs when you cross time zones and/or the date line.

I am in a Work Week Challenge and my step total before flying was greater than 13000. After landing in a new, far flung timezone, my step total was 4000, so somehow the app actually subtracted steps even though it should have added. I suspect the app is trying to be too clever.

Suggested fixes: ignore what timezone you are in for challenge steps. Use UTC internally and simply count steps between the UTC start and UTC end times.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.+ Format

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @rpseguin, I hope you're doing well, it's great to see you around. Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear your steps decreased when you moved to another timezone. Please note that this might occur when all challenge participants are not in the same time zone as the app will try to adjust the steps to the timezone you're currently in. 

I would like to thank you for your insight and feedback, I think the idea you propose is very interesting and will benefit many members of the Community. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience which is why I would like to suggest you to check @altonv's suggested idea to implement this feature in a future update. Feel free to vote and comment here, this is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else! 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is not a solution.

Please use UTC internally in the app and simply ignore timezones.

People travel and the FitBit app has the bug of trying to be too smart for its own good.

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @rpseguin, I hope you're having a great day, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have shared your feedback with us, please keep in mind that our development team is always working towards improving the Fitbit app and services. I understand how important this is for you but at this moment this feature is not available, which is why I suggested you to vote and comment on @altonv's suggested idea. This is the best way for our development team to know how many people are interested in a determined idea and determine if this will be implemented.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a bug!
not a feature request!
The app discards steps and gets step counts wrong!

Not accurately counting steps is a bug!

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes