Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to always get a map recorded when tracking exercise.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I start a hike or walk with my iPhone I get one message sometimes- i see the outline of a phone on the charge screen and I know it is generating a map. Other times I get a message to ‘Check fitbit app’. If I do nothing, tap screen, or push the button no map is generated. No way to get a map. I had made no changes in settings. Why does this happen?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hello @MarileeC I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. 

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. Tell me, which Fitbit device are you currently using? Since when have you experienced this situation? Keep in mind that some Fitbit devices record your run or walk map by connecting to the GPS in your phone. 

Some environmental factors including tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and even thick cloud cover can interfere with your phone’s ability to connect to GPS satellites. 

Now, let's check the following requirements for your device to maintain a connection with your phone during your workout:

• Bluetooth is enabled on your phone and your tracker is connected (paired) to the phone. To confirm, go into your phone's Bluetooth settings and make sure you see your device on the list of devices.
  • You selected an exercise that uses connected GPS. 
  • Your phone is within about 30 feet of your device.
  • Your phone can identify your location and can track your location when you're not using Wi-Fi. For more information on which phone settings you may need to adjust, see How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

After verifying all the requirements, try using GPS again by following the instructions in How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device? If you're still having difficulty, try these troubleshooting steps:

1. Open the Fitbit app to reestablish a connection with your tracker.
  2. Reboot your phone.

Give these steps a try and let us know the outcome, we'll be happy to continue assisting you! 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes