Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open app on iOS11

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I can't open my Fitbit app since updating iPhone 6 to iOS11. I get a login screen which I don't normally get. When I enter my username and password, I get an error message 'an SSL error occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made'

i have tried closing the app and reopening, deleting and re installing, restarting my phone and nothing works. I can log in to my account on my iPad but I can't sync the band and I need it to work on my phone. Help!!

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Hello @DebB23, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. Our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. In the meantime, something that has been helpful for some people is turning off the Bluetooth on their phones before trying to log in to the app. Please try it and let me know the outcome

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused. I appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track. If there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Any update on this?  I have to turn off wifi and load over 4G then it works.  Will not update or sync over WiFi.  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

hiya, I had an email this morning off help desk saying that they were aware of the issue and were working on it. I have just updated my phone to iOS 11.0.2 and have been able to connect to the app for the first time in days! Keeping everything crossed it gets resolved properly soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem mine will sink but only after I login I have to constantly put in my email address and I had to make up a password I do not understand why this is happening and it is quite annoying

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I downloaded IOS 11.0.2 as suggested by DebB23.  It took an age to sync, like 2 hours, I flicked off WiFi to 4G which seemed to give it a final push.  As of now it seems to be fine....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pretty lame that this hasn't been fixed.  Just spent 35 minutes on the phone with support being told that I must have a bad connection.  Wifi connectivity was fine -- everything else working.  I was using one of my kids' wifi-only iPhone 5s, and could not login with the app.  Kept getting "An SSL error has occurred. . . ".  Only solution was to put temporarily put a SIM chip in the phone and use data connection to login.  Also can't update Fitbit device using wifi -- had to use the SIM card for that as well.  Lame tech support and really lame that they can't fix an identified bug.

Best Answer

Sadly this didn't fix my problems, it happens nearly every day. Very frustrating. Amazed that Fitbit haven't fixed this bug especially as their rating in the app store has plummeted since the issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

everything updated, phone and fitbit rebooted numerous times and it still happens. I also have to keep logging in which has never happened until these issues started

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,
I’m using app version 2.44.2 and iOS 11.2.2 and it all works.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It won't work on my iPhone 5s using WiFi with updated versions of iOS and
App, but does work with iPhone 6s+.

PG

Moderator Edit: Personal Information

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting. I’m using iPhone SE. That might be the issue then!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DebB23@PHGNYC - Can you verify that you are seeing an SSL error occurred when trying to log in? Is there any other message?  Many times the SSL error has to do with the network connection. Are you logging in via WiFi? 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Please see my prior post.  

• Problem only happens on WiFi.
  • WiFi connectivity on the phone is fine -- everything else works.

Specific error message is: "An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made."  This bug seems to have been floating around for a long time.  It's clearly not because I have a bad WiFi connection.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PHGNYC thanks for your feedback. Can you let me know how often this happens? It looks like you are syncing regularly, is the app logging you out? 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
I’ve had the device for all of two days, but so far impossible to login to App over WiFi and App logs out when device is restarted.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any update..?! I have an iphone 7 plus, newest update and my fitbit app has completley disconnected from my band and i cannot add the device back on because of the ssl error?! Not fair considering these bands aren’t cheap!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve given up on trying to connect over WiFi. It’s a pain since my daughter’s phone doesn’t have a data plan. Only way to connect is to put in a SIM card from another phone or use another iPhone as a hotspot and connect to it. Both work for me. It’s absurd they don’t fix this identified bug.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve tried using my data and everything, it’s just not conmecting at all. Im getting really annoyed, i use it daily for the gym and now i cant 🙄

Best Answer
0 Votes

I, too, have this issue. I suspect the problem is with Fitbit's SSL configuration for api.fitbit.com. Visiting https://api.fitbit.com on my phone—using Safari—initially results in an SSL error (after a 30-60s timeout). Strangely, subsequent attempts to load the site work.

This issue happens on WiFi. On LTE, the site loads immediately. I initially suspected my wireless router was the problem; however, the page loads without fail—aside from the expected authorization error—on my laptop (using Chrome and Safari).

Best Answer
0 Votes