Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to sync after updating the app.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why is it that every single time the iPhone app updates, my Fitbit won’t sync. I have had this problem since I was using a Zip on an iPhone 4, then on an iPhone 6, then with an Alta on a different iPhone 6, now with an Alta on an iPhone 8. If it was an occasional occurrence, it wouldn’t bother me, but every time I get the “Hang on, we’re cleaning things up for you message,” the message should add the line: “Now you won’t be able to sync for a day or two.” If the app does not work properly, don’t release it!

It does not sync when I open it, nor when I pull down to sync (it gets stuck in the pulled down position), nor when I tell it to sync now.

As any older engineer would tell you, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @Ladylantz, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board! Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention. As you mentioned you have already updated the app to its latest version I would like to suggest you to force-quit the app by double tapping the home button on your phone, then swiping up the app. After that, try to sync again. If your tracker is still having having trouble syncing, I would like to suggest the following:

• Make sure there are no other Bluetooth devices around as they might interfere with the syncing process
  • Check that your Fitbit device's battery isn't critically low.

If your device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. Force quit the Fitbit app. 
  2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Open the Fitbit app.
  4. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart your phone again.
  5. Open the Fitbit app.
  6. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart it one more time.
  7. If your Fitbit device won't sync after the restart, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.
  8. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your mobile device and try to sync.

I appreciate you have taken the time to voice your feedback. I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Hi @Ladylantz. I understand your frustration. But you realize it is the IOS update causing the problems, NOT a change to the Fitbit app, right? So when you say “if the app does not work properly, don’t release it!” you should be addressing that to Apple, not Fitbit. 

Apple does not release details of its updates to third party vendors such as Fitbit ahead of time. So any apps that work with IOS have to play catch up whenever a new IOS update is released. I know Fitbit works as fast as it can ... but issues can occur. 

I have an iPhone and I have learned over time not to update the IOS as soon as it is released, unless security is at risk. By postponing, I am giving Fitbit - and my other apps - time to catch up. 

According to this Help page, Fitbit devices can store daily totals for up to 30 days, so you will not lose your data. 

Best Answer

@Ladylantz wrote:

Why is it that every single time the iPhone app updates, my Fitbit won’t sync. I have had this problem since I was using a Zip on an iPhone 4, then on an iPhone 6, then with an Alta on a different iPhone 6, now with an Alta on an iPhone 8. If it was an occasional occurrence, it wouldn’t bother me, but every time I get the “Hang on, we’re cleaning things up for you message,” the message should add the line: “Now you won’t be able to sync for a day or two.” If the app does not work properly, don’t release it!

It does not sync when I open it, nor when I pull down to sync (it gets stuck in the pulled down position), nor when I tell it to sync now.

As any older engineer would tell you, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

My syncing/connecting became very unstable after the last App update. I did a complete app  uninstall/remove device from Account and BT/turn off BT/turn off phone/turn on phone/turn on BT/reinstall app, add device (Charge 2) (restarting device 3-4 times prior to adding). Did this two separate times. Syncing/connecting is now stable.

Pain in the butt -- it solved the app update problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @mjperry51, I hope you're doing well, thanks for joining the conversation. It's nice to see you around too @SunsetRunner, thanks for providing your insight about this situation. Smiley Happy

@mjperry51, I appreciate your participation in the forums and for letting us know the troubleshooting steps you've performed in order to resolve your issue, I'm sure they will be very helpful for many members of the Community facing the same situation. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post.

As has been the case in the last past after every Fitbit app update in the past, I was not able to sync on the day the update was installed, but I was able to update the following day (about 20 hours later).

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Ladylantz, I hope you're doing well, I appreciate you have taken the time to reply and let us know you were able to sync your tracker, I'm very glad. Smiley Happy

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer