Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the pace mean in the exercise details?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't understand what the pace is measuring?  Feet adn inches?  If so, per what? Thanks for any replies!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

An easy conversion, if you have a calculator or Excel.

Say your Fitbit says your pace is " 21'30" "...This means you averaged

21 minutes and 30 seconds to go 1 mile. 

Convert that to miles per hour (MPH)

MPH=(3600)/(60*21+30)    

If you like KPH (kilometers per hour), it's the same equation! You have your Fitbit set

to quote in SI units, so the pace it is telling you is time (minutes, seconds) per kilometer.

Say your Fitbit says your pace is "15'24"" -that's 15 minutes and 24 seconds per kilometer

KPH=3600/(60*15 + 24)

Yes, I agree, MPH and KPH would be very easy for them to reprogram in to their next software update.

Maybe they like 'pace' because runners often like to know 'pace' rather than MPH-rather than for instance, 10 MPH, they want to know 6 minutes per mile. I wonder what the breakdown is--how many Fitbit users like pace, and how many like MPH or KPH?

Best Answer

I also thought feet and inches at first!! Lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you say the lower it is the faster you are. 
I notice my last few days I’ve been averaging 4’22. 
Today I got 4’13

Best Answer
0 Votes

Used the exercise app for the first time today on my new Sense. I too was confused with the "PACE" reading.  This thread helped me understand it, albeit with over complication.  So to summarize, the symbols Fitbit uses after the PACE numbers are NOT feet and inches, but rather minutes and seconds.  Yes I know that those symbols are used in lat and long measurements for minutes and seconds, but no one cares about that - to most everyone they mean feet and inches and are a source of confusion when first using the Fitbit exercise app. And forget about thinking of PACE in terms of "speed" because that is not normally used in running/walking measurements.  It is minutes and seconds we are concerned with here. You know, like the 4 minute mile and the 45 second 400, etc.  Think Olympics here.

So for anyone that is still confused, forget about calculating speed and just understand that PACE is measuring minutes and seconds PER MILE.  So if my PACE states 20'14" it means that I am on a PACE to complete a mile in 20 minutes and 14 seconds.

Best Answer

Sounds like a lot of people would prefer 'speed' rather than 'pace' being displayed. That's probably why this thread was started and has kept going for so long!

Best Answer

Options are a good thing. It would be great then if Fitbit would let peeps choose a setting for time or speed. I am good with the time setting and would just recommend that Fitbit display the time in normal time like this: 20:14 for example. 

Best Answer

Agree! Give us a setting so we can do the minute/second ( '," which confused the heck out of me) or simply miles per hour. Sheesh.... want this to be easy to stay motivated.

Best Answer

I always click exercise before I walk. My collaboration seems to be correct.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in this thread. Some of you shared great details and suggestions about this topic and how this is calculated during your exercises, and I'm sure other members will find your posts very helpful!

I wanted to inform you that I'm going to close this thread from further comments. However, if you have any other question, I'd encourage you to start a new thread in the Help Forums to receive help from the Community. Note that you can always visit our Help Site where you can find information about our products and features, as well as troubleshooting steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes