Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS application screen freezing

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am a blind user with a charge for using the voiceover screen reader application provided by Apple on my iPhone.

I have been observing that the Fitbit screen in the iOS app I had appeared to be freezing. Today I decided to do a little experiment and at 9:27 AM I noticed that the screen appeared to be frozen and monitor the screen until 9:39 AM when I did a three finger swipe to see if the screen would updateThe screen did not update so I had to close down the Fitbit app and restart it in order to see the update during that period of time I did approximately 1150 steps and get credit or exercise. DAZN minutes increased and so did the discounts in calories

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello again @Podunk 

There use to be a feature called All Day Sync (which I preferred because when it was part of the Fitbit App it was a rare occasion that I had to swipe down my Fitbit App and sync my Fitbit to see the most recent data) The All Day Sync was removed around June of 2020. You can read more about it here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/All-day-sync-not-available-anymore/m-p/4296904#M134251

Since the removal of the All Day Sync I too have noticed the 15 minute interval (give or take a minute) observation as you have described. It’s been stated the reasoning behind the removal is “To improve your experience with notifications, syncing, and firmware updates, we removed the option to turn off all-day sync from the Fitbit app on Android phones. (It was removed from iOS as well) When your phone is near your Fitbit device with Bluetooth turned on, it periodically syncs with the Fitbit app to update your stats and download available firmware updates”. 

I think removing the All Day Sync was an attempt to help with battery drains but that’s my theory. But like you, i have to either close the Fitbit App and reopen to get fresh data or force sync the App by swiping downward on the page if I’m somewhere between the mysterious 15 min intervals you described.

You mentioned it was a change you noticed after the recent update. I personally haven’t noticed a change in my Fitbit App syncing behavior since the latest update and I use iOS as well. This 15 min interval behavior has been lingering since the All Day Sync was removed in my case.

But with all this said there’s been yet another update very recently. Version 3.66 is out for the Fitbit App. I’d check to see if your in need of the update. I know the update states “Bug fixes and performance enhancements. AND Improvements to Estimated Oxygen Variation and weight trends chart layouts”  I bring this up because in another post (currently unanswered here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/iOS-App/Estimated-oxygen-saturation/m-p/5225813) you mentioned difficulties. I’m wondering if the answer to that question is because the developers didn’t revise the voiceover to accommodate the new change. 

😉 I hope my post helps in some way

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @Podunk 

Hate to hear your screen froze up on you but logging out of the Fitbit App and restarting your iPhone was the right thing to do. 

Can you clarify your question for me. You stated that during the update “I did approximately 1150 steps and get credit or exercise. DAZN minutes increased and so did the discounts in calories” 

I’m not sure the word ‘DAZN” was interpreted by the voiceover very well. Can you resend your question. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone I accidentally sent the message before I was able to delete the last sentence. All I wanted people to know was that after I closed out of Fitbit and reopened that distance updated steps updated zone minutes updated and calories updated so that’s part of the screen freezing all of those fields that are visible on the app updated upon opening the Fitbit iOS app. My contribution to the community was more informative for the Fitbit software developers and those who have been affected I just wanted them to know what I had observed over a period of time and then it was not just impatience on my part because it didn’t automatically update in a very short period of time. Thank you megabyte you’re always there when we need you,
Best Answer

Hello again @Podunk 

I’m super happy to hear all was well once you restarted your iPhone as well as the Fitbit App and your not experiencing anything new. 

I’m sure your post will be informative as well with the community and Fitbit Software Developers. Posting observations is a very effective way to get things addressed. 

😃 Enjoy the rest of your day and as always Happy Stepping!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is an informational post for the community and developers. This morning when I noticed my screen had frozen at 4002 steps I decided to keep walking to see if it’ll eventually update it. It did update in approximately 15 minutes with 4996 steps then continue to walk for another 15 minutes during which time the screen had refrozen. But approximately 15 minutes the step count was over 6000 and had refreshed automatically. The update did not occur on the quarter hour but it appears in 15 minute increments from the time that the screen froze. So if you wish to get interim steps and data from the home screen you will need to close out of the app and then reopen it to get the updated numbers. Before one of the recent updates you could by clicking on steps get a rolling pound

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @Podunk 

There use to be a feature called All Day Sync (which I preferred because when it was part of the Fitbit App it was a rare occasion that I had to swipe down my Fitbit App and sync my Fitbit to see the most recent data) The All Day Sync was removed around June of 2020. You can read more about it here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/All-day-sync-not-available-anymore/m-p/4296904#M134251

Since the removal of the All Day Sync I too have noticed the 15 minute interval (give or take a minute) observation as you have described. It’s been stated the reasoning behind the removal is “To improve your experience with notifications, syncing, and firmware updates, we removed the option to turn off all-day sync from the Fitbit app on Android phones. (It was removed from iOS as well) When your phone is near your Fitbit device with Bluetooth turned on, it periodically syncs with the Fitbit app to update your stats and download available firmware updates”. 

I think removing the All Day Sync was an attempt to help with battery drains but that’s my theory. But like you, i have to either close the Fitbit App and reopen to get fresh data or force sync the App by swiping downward on the page if I’m somewhere between the mysterious 15 min intervals you described.

You mentioned it was a change you noticed after the recent update. I personally haven’t noticed a change in my Fitbit App syncing behavior since the latest update and I use iOS as well. This 15 min interval behavior has been lingering since the All Day Sync was removed in my case.

But with all this said there’s been yet another update very recently. Version 3.66 is out for the Fitbit App. I’d check to see if your in need of the update. I know the update states “Bug fixes and performance enhancements. AND Improvements to Estimated Oxygen Variation and weight trends chart layouts”  I bring this up because in another post (currently unanswered here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/iOS-App/Estimated-oxygen-saturation/m-p/5225813) you mentioned difficulties. I’m wondering if the answer to that question is because the developers didn’t revise the voiceover to accommodate the new change. 

😉 I hope my post helps in some way

Best Answer
Thank you megabyte, you have reassured me that I am not going crazy. Unlike you I too hope the positive things will happen with the Fitbit software.
Best Answer

😂 No your certainly not going crazy @Podunk because that would mean we both are. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just a quick update, the iOS home screen is still freezing. The three finger swipe still does not work using voiceover as a screen reader. The tiles still flip multiple times during the day. The edit it’s still not available to those using the VoiceOver screen reader. There is more I could say but I will wait for another time to update are there issues and concerns that have been brought to the attention of Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes