Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"ineligible for fitbit account" showing when i change personal info.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was recently trying to change some personal info in the app, i noticed that my height was incorrect as i have grown since i last changed it. i changed it to the correct number and when i hit save it said i was ineligible for a fitbit account. same thing happened when i went to change the location. help much appreciated. thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @PhilipIreland, I think the 16+ rule is in the EU, and came in with GDPR, so I expect that's what's going on.

There are two metrics that an incorrect height could make inaccurate.  One is calories, but if you are not interested in that then you wouldn't need to worry.

The other is distance if you are not using GPS (either built in or connected via your phone).  In the absence of GPS Fitbit uses steps * stride length to calculate distance.  Your stride length will be automatically calculated based on your height, so if your height is wrong it may be incorrrect.  However, you may be able to get around this by calculating it yourself and entering it manually.  Instructions here.

It may be, however, that until your birthdate indicates that you are at least 16 you may not be able to change any personal settings, including stride length.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi, @PhilipIreland, due to regulations concerning under age users Fitbit account holders must be 12 or older in many jurisdictions or even 16 or older in some jurisdictions.

Might you be too young for a Fitbit account?  (The 16 rule is fairly new so it could be that your account was valid when you set it up, but no longer acceptable, and therefore it will not allow you to make changes.)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ah ok yes I’m under 16 but over 12 so that might explain. Would the height information make a difference to my results?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @PhilipIreland, I think the 16+ rule is in the EU, and came in with GDPR, so I expect that's what's going on.

There are two metrics that an incorrect height could make inaccurate.  One is calories, but if you are not interested in that then you wouldn't need to worry.

The other is distance if you are not using GPS (either built in or connected via your phone).  In the absence of GPS Fitbit uses steps * stride length to calculate distance.  Your stride length will be automatically calculated based on your height, so if your height is wrong it may be incorrrect.  However, you may be able to get around this by calculating it yourself and entering it manually.  Instructions here.

It may be, however, that until your birthdate indicates that you are at least 16 you may not be able to change any personal settings, including stride length.

Best Answer