Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the pace mean in the exercise details?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't understand what the pace is measuring?  Feet adn inches?  If so, per what? Thanks for any replies!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Pace is minutes per km or mile. Divide that into 60 minutes and you have your speed/hour. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Pace is measuring how fast you are moving per kilometre or mile (depending what measurements you are using).

So if your pace is 9' 23" and you have your measurement set to metric, it means you have taken 9 mins & 23 secs to walk/run the last kilometre.

Lower values mean you are travelling faster. Higher values mean you being a snail 😉

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

Pace is minutes per km or mile. Divide that into 60 minutes and you have your speed/hour. 

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I get the mins per km part, but what's the bit in feet and inches? I thought it was the distance of my steps, but mine says 10' 13" and this seems a lot for the length of my pace.

Also, why does it report the mins/km correctly (metric), but the pace as imperial measurements. I've selected metric in my settings...

-------

Okay. So anyone reading my reply probably thought I'd lost the plot! Having been brought up on imperial measurements, to me 10' 13" means 10 foot, 13 inches. Not 10 minutes, 13 seconds!

Perhaps to other people in the world using ' and " always means minutes and seconds, but not to us British folk 🙂

On second reading of Colin's reply I realised my obvious mistake. Smiley Embarassed

Being in the software business myself. It just goes to show that no matter how hard you try to make a user interface as intuitive as possible. It is very difficult for one interface to account for all regions in the world.

Best Answer

I still didn't get it!  I have set it to miles. Mine says 19' 46". If I divide 81/ by 19.6 (rounded 19"46"), I get 4.1mph. My net for this morning was 4.1 miles in roughly 1:21:10 hours.  O.K., it works out. But what a complicated process just to find out my pace! Why should I have to open up a calculator to see how fast I am going?

Best Answer

@pacrimjim wrote:

I still didn't get it!  I have set it to miles. Mine says 19' 46". If I divide 81/ by 19.6 (rounded 19"46"), I get 4.1mph. My net for this morning was 4.1 miles in roughly 1:21:10 hours.  O.K., it works out. But what a complicated process just to find out my pace! Why should I have to open up a calculator to see how fast I am going?

@pacrimjimI agree with you. A few of us have contacted support to change that to in our Activity Logs in the Dashboard because it is more meaningful to most Fitbitters. You may have also noted if you click on your profile picture and your Activity Records (timer based) you can examine speed and pace. If you click on the small white archive option you can view your history. This shows in the black bar area when you examine today's records. The weakness in this graph is that Fitbit calculations round up to the nearest speed increment, no decimal portions and that has been reported as well.

Speed.jpg

Best Answer

I'm new at this, so I'm still figuring things out. The one thing that still mystifies me is Pace. For me it looks like 20'34", which I now gather means that it takes me 20 minutes 34 seconds per mile. I'm pretty sure I walk faster than that - closer to 15 minutes/mile. So that means I should measure my stride to correct that?

Best Answer

Pace is measuring how fast you are moving per kilometre or mile (depending what measurements you are using).

So if your pace is 9' 23" and you have your measurement set to metric, it means you have taken 9 mins & 23 secs to walk/run the last kilometre.

Lower values mean you are travelling faster. Higher values mean you being a snail 😉

Best Answer

Good clear reply, thank you Wizbang.

Best Answer

thank you for clear answer ! 

Best Answer

Hi,

I have the same question with pace conversion.

Do all simple users without contacting administrators have access to this data as shown in picture?

Or only premium users? I mean viewing not only pace 6'23" but also  kmph.

Thanks for help.

Best Answer

This makes total sense, except that my pace shows 93'44"...???  I average about a 16-17 minute mile when I walk, so this make ZERO SENSE to me.  Obviously something is off in my settings...how do I fix?

Best Answer

At first I thought it was feet and inches as well, which was annoying me. And also per what. 

Explains well above, and just to add, minutes and seconds also use the same symbols when using coordinates. 

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/degrees-minutes-seconds-to-degrees.htm 

Thanks for the answer. 

Best Answer

Lol me too. I thought I was be recorded I only walked 30 feet not 30 minute miles. I was annoyed because I took my iPhone and knew I went over a mile not 30 feet. Now. Know it means 30 min mile, but I still every time I see it I think feet and inches, because that  is the nomenclature used in the United States for distance, feet(') and inches ("). 

Best Answer

This is very well put. I knew the answer but not how to explain it. Makes me much happier when sections of my cycling read 3'4". I love my blaze but it lacking a GPS makes it cumbersome; would prefer not dragging phone with me or having to set activity while still in range of wi fi ( blue tooth alone is limited in stats). 

Best Answer

Very true its annoying

Best Answer

Yes, I think adjusting the stride is the answer. This post is old enough, you probably did it. How did it turn out?

You can adjust your stride manually. Say your stride is "36 inches". That means you need 1760 steps in a mile. If your stride in your profile is set to 34 inches, Fitbit is just counting steps, so thinks you need more than 1760 steps for a mile (about 1900 steps).

If your Fitbit doesn't have a GPS, I don't think your Fitbit knows how to count miles, so it counts steps. If your stride in your profile is set to 36 inches, it counts ONE mile when you take 1760 steps. If your stride in your profile is set to 34 inches, then it counts 1864 steps you've taken, then counts that as ONE mile.

Best Answer

minutes' seconds" is actually correct.  Both height and time use this notation, unfortunately this is the world we live in... 

Best Answer

Hello @Michellevp and @prost22, I hope you're doing well, thanks for joining the conversation. Smiley Happy

@prost22 I appreciate your participation in the forums and for explaining how stride length and pace relate. I'm sure your explanation will be very helpful for many members of the Community. 

@Michellevp, I understand it's a bit difficult to adjust to the nomenclature of minutes (') and seconds (") as they are the same as with feet and inches, It took me a while to get accustomed but then it's easier to tell apart. 

Thanks again for your participation in the forums, if there's anything else you might want to add or if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

But why not offer us the option to change this notation? It seems to be rather obscure / confusing to many

Best Answer

I agree...if it says "18m25s" I know exactly what that is right away. Even "18:25" is more clear to me than "   18'25"   "

Best Answer