Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the pace mean in the exercise details?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't understand what the pace is measuring?  Feet adn inches?  If so, per what? Thanks for any replies!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

I believe 19' 46" is minutes and seconds for you to walk a mile.  Your pace is 19 minutes 46 seconds per mile.  So rounding this to 20/minutes per mile you should have walked 4.1 miles in 82 minutes 1hour 22 minutes.

Best Answer

Hi fhere

so I’m still confused. I just got my Versa watch and tried out the exercise run ap on it the last three days; and the first run said 9’23”… the next day says 64’21” and today 108’13” what the heck does that mean!? I have my settings set to KM as that’s what we are here in Canada but I sure as hell didn’t run for 64 mins or 108 minutes… do I have something wrong? 

Best Answer

@Cher88  That's minutes per distance unit and in your case KM's. If you divide that into 60 minutes you get your speed.. So the the first one would give you  6.4km's per hour for the time running on average.

The other two you were obviously testing and  hence the dawdling speed.  If that was for shopping, general leisurely walking etc I use Workout and then rename it.

If those slow ones saved as an activity your HR would show the spurts and stops etc..unless it was just a few minutes navigating around the use of the Versa.

Keep us posted because it's frustrating trying to com to grips with the terminology..

@Cher88 wrote:

Hi fhere

so I’m still confused. I just got my Versa watch and tried out the exercise run ap on it the last three days; and the first run said 9’23”… the next day says 64’21” and today 108’13” what the heck does that mean!? I have my settings set to KM as that’s what we are here in Canada but I sure as hell didn’t run for 64 mins or 108 minutes… do I have something wrong? 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Pace is speed. Think about your car...you're on a highway for 2 minutes, it says you went "60 mph"...60 miles per hour....but you didn't go 60 miles, and you didn't go for an hour.

Your pace numbers, 9'23", 64'21", and 108'13" are really odd, since they vary so widely. 9'23" suggests that's minutes per mile, or minutes per kilometer, depending on how fast you run. 9'23" pace would be about 6 miles per hour, or 6 kilometers per hour. But the other two, 64' and 108', those are sloth or turtle speeds (about 1 mile per hour for 64' pace, or 1/2 mile per hour for 108' pace)

Best Answer
That’s what I don’t get… I wasn’t going crawling lol I was running the same speed each day…? Does it need to be reset or something?

Cheri
Best Answer
0 Votes

Our Fitbit has at least two methods to do reset, so you'll have to try each. Google your particular Fitbit and reset. and then your Fitbit and reboot. That might locate both procedures for your Fitbit

Example

Versa reset

Versa reboot

Versa factory reset

Best Answer
0 Votes

So is there any other reasons why I got those 2 super high numbers? 

Mom going to try to run again in the morning briefly and see what it says… 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can think of a few reasons:

1) you started it up by mistake before you sat down for a night of TV watching on the couch,

so you actually didn't move much during your 'workout' or 'run' or whatever it is called

2) there is a foul up in the what I would call calibration; some Fitbits require you to tell the Fitbit how many steps you take per mile. Some Fitbits count only steps, not miles. So if you tell it "2,000 steps per mile" then if you take 2,000 steps, it doesn't matter how far you actually went, Fitbit says, "you walked a mile." But if you told it "20,000 steps in a mile" then you'd have to take 20,000 steps before Fitbit would say, "it's a mile."  If you go into your profile, you can change that calibration to whatever it is for you. If you have long legs, you might need 1,700 steps for a mile. Shorter legs might need 2,200 steps for a mile.

3) it's broken (that's a pretty obvious possibility, but I have no idea if that's true or not).

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi.
Def not #1. I never get a chance to watch tv unless I’m going to bed but I usually pass out anyways.
I just did another quick jog and ran for 18 mins and did 4000 steps and again 85’02” was the avg pace… I kept looking at it as I was running and sometimes it showed 0s… and isn’t when I do the run ap exercise, it should count as a recorded run and would go into Strava? Because it’s not registering into Strava either. Keeps saying record a run…
Maybe I have a faulty one…

Cheri
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know what Strava is. Which Fitbit do you have?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am assuming you're still talking about a Versa.

here's a factory reset

On the Versa, go to the Settings App (little gear icon).   Choose "About" then "Factory Reset."     (See the User Guide, page 66.)

a different procedure--the reboot or restart

The instructions for restarting the Versa say "To restart your watch, press and hold the back and bottom buttons for a few seconds until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen."

Best Answer
0 Votes
The new Versa

Cheri
Best Answer
0 Votes

did you try reset? see this youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xTs59I3RZ0

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I spoke with online chat rep and she helped me reset the watch and suggested to count my own strides as they might not be correct. But I didn’t count my own strides yet and just did a run and seems to work now. Average pace is 6’31”… sounds better than 108!!! Hahaha 

thanks for all your help and info! 

Best Answer

I am delighted that you were able to reset and fix your problems...for now...please write down how to reset, and keep that around a while. Are you running kilometers or miles?

Best Answer

Hello @Cher88, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. It's great to see you around too @Colinm39 and @prost22, thanks for all your help. Smiley Happy

@Cher88, I'm very glad to know that after chatting with our Support Team and following their recommendations your pace seems to be better now, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

So how is pace different from walking speed? Is this purposly confusing or just the confused mind of some algorythm geek. Still i love my Fitbit

Best Answer

It's actually the inverse of walking speed. Say you used the same way to say 'speed' as your car? MPH--miles per hour (or KPH--kilometers per hour). That distance divided by time.

But pace on the Fitbits is the reciprocal or inverse...it's time per mile, or time per kilometer. So to get your speed, convert minutes and seconds of "pace" to fraction of an hour, then take the inverse, that's your 'miles per hour'.

Best Answer

Hello @njstylua, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. It's nice to see you too @prost22, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

@njstylua, as @prost22 kindly explained, the pace is the inverse of walking speed. This is certainly the best explanation and I would like to thank her for her input. 

I hope this has resolved your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

I'm just joining the party, but I'd like to throw out what I think is an obvious question...WHY can't we have MPH or KPH average as optional statistics.  I'd far rather see and hear that (in the actual app and via voice prompts) then the pace.  

Best Answer