Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the pace mean in the exercise details?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't understand what the pace is measuring?  Feet adn inches?  If so, per what? Thanks for any replies!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

Hello @fegriffith, I hope you're doing well, thanks for joining the conversation. Smiley Happy

We really appreciate our members's input and feedback and I would like to thank you for yours. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I would like to encourage you to submit your insight about including voice cues for MPH an KPH as a suggested idea, where members of the Community can comment and vote for it so it can be implemented in the future.

Feel free to share your suggestion with your friends and family to add more votes and comments, this is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team.

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

LOL I thought this exact same thing. US resident here. I was trying to understand why my pace in length could be so drastic... Like​ did my legs get longer or shorter 😆

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the good answer Colin.

The part that I can't fathom is WHY in the world would the fine minds of Fitbit would want to saddle the largess of thier customer base with such a horrid set of grossly out of touch unites. It's the new millennium, we have great computing capacity at a flick of our wrists. It would be so simple to let the non-purists change pace units to whatever they want to relate to and read right off thier watch.

It's ridiculous to have to divide Fitbit's obtuse pace units by 

Best Answer

Hello @enjuneer, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

We really appreciate our members's input and feedback and I would like to thank you for yours. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I would like to encourage you to submit your insight as a suggested idea, where members of the Community can comment and vote for it so it can be implemented in the future.

Feel free to share your suggestion with your friends and family to add more votes and comments, this is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team.

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why 81? I am really struggling to understand my pace 😞

Best Answer

"Why 81? I am really struggling to understand my pace"

Can you give us more information? The pace statistic is a bit hard to understand--we usually think of "MPH" or "KPH" (miles per hour or kilometers per hour of course), but the pace number is how many minutes per mile (or kilometer), the inverse of speed. Usually it tells you how many minutes it took you to walk a mile, or kilometer. So your Fitbit said "81"--assuming that's correct, you took 81 minutes to walk one mile. Does that should right, that it took you 81 minutes or 1 hour 21 minutes to walk one mile? An average walking pace is 3 MPH, or 1 mile in 20 minutes--if you walked 3 MPH, your Fitbit would say your pace is "20" that is, 20 minutes per mile.

Best Answer

I am not old, but I am British. I was raised in the U.S. though and I don't know anyone that uses these to mean anything but foot and inch. Lol. I came here looking for the same answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are probably aware of how latitudes and longitudes are sometimes displayed? Degrees-minutes--seconds.  For instance, Tucson's lat/long coordinates are 32°13′18″N 110°55′35″W. Latitude: 32 degrees North, 13 minutes, 18 seconds, Longitude: 110 degrees West, 55 minutes, 35 seconds. So context matters. ' " means foot-inches sometimes, and sometimes it means ' " minutes-seconds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ProserpinaNight and welcome to the Help forums.  Here is another little tidbit of information you also never expected to find on a Fitbit Help site.  Those symbols, ' and ", are used as part of global coordinates of latitude and longitude.  Every degree of latitude and longitude is broken into 60 minutes (') and 60 seconds (").

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ProserpinaNight thanks for joining the conversation, it's great to have you on board the Fitbit Community. It's nice to see you too @prost22. Thanks for all your help @LZeeW. 🙂

@ProserpinaNight I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for posting your question. Please note that pace showing in your Fitbit device is a measure of minutes and seconds, like @LZeeW mentioned. the (') means minutes and (") seconds. 

Thanks again for posting your question, if you need further inquiries, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello All that are confused, I was too.

So, I went searching on the thing and found this little calculator: Pace to mph/kph calculator

I am in agreement that this should be an owner optioned feature.

If someone has already started a thread to vote this up please link it as a response so I can upvote the riddance of this inane number-cruncher statistic.

Best Answer

That doesn't make sense 

My pace was 27' 21" 

And I done 1.35 miles 

And I completed this in 20 minutes bang on.

So how is it using this answer possible to take 27 minutes to do a mile when I done 1.35 in 20 minutes 

Best Answer

I was confused for the same reason. I read it as feet & inches. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No, it's minutes and seconds to walk 1 mile or 1 kilometer.

if you know a little math, "speed" has units of length per time
(like miles per hour). "Pace" the way they use it has
units of time per length...for instance, if you walked 3
miles in 20 minutes, your pace is "20'00""...or 20 minutes,
0 seconds per mile (60 minutes divided by 3 miles is
20 minutes per mile).
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not certain what is going on. I can guess that your steps aren't calibrated to the miles. Let me explain. Your Fitbit counts steps, and the number of steps to complete one mile is a setting you can fix. Say you have a very long stride---then you might need 1500 steps to go one mile. What if your stride is short? You might need 2100 steps to go a mile. All your Fitbit counts is steps. If you tell your Fitbit that 2100 steps equals a mile, and if Fitbit counts 2100 steps, then Fitbit says you went a mile, regardless of how far you actually walked. You tell it how many steps YOU need to walk a mile. I think there's a number already set in the Fitbit when you open the package, but you can always reset the "steps per mile" to whatever you want. 

Some of the more expensive Fitbits appear to have GPS; that complicates things here. I think in general your Fitbit is likely to just count steps, not miles. But it converts the steps into miles FOR YOU if you set your Fitbit to your stride.

Best Answer

If you had set the number of steps per mile correctly, your Fitbit should have shown "14' 49" " (14 minutes, 49 minutes) for the pace. You need to change the settings in your Fitbit to adjust for how long your stride is.

Maybe I am overthinking it...did YOU know you went 1.35 miles, or did your Fitbit say you went 1.35 miles? That is, did you measure the 1.35 miles, and know you walked it in 20 minutes, or did Fitbit say you went 1.35 miles in that 20 minutes?

Best Answer
0 Votes

But my pace says 6'28"  There's no way on earth I'm going that fast per kilometer, any ideas how that could be?  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you walking or running? Your pace suggests you are moving almost 6 miles per hour (10 km per hour). That's not a normal walking pace of course. If you are walking, then I would say this suggests your Fitbit is not set up properly. I don't know how it measures "pace"--it knows the time, of course. But someplace in your settings is a number that tells your Fitbit how many steps you need to travel a kilometer or a mile. Can you find out where your Fitbit says how many steps to a mile (or kilometer of course). 

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you're running that's probably accurate.
https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20801331/pace-converter/
That would be:
Your pace is *10:24* minutes per mile and *5.77*miles per hour
(*6:28* minutes per km and *9.28* km per hour)

If you're walking you may want to calibrate your stride in the app under
settings.

Keep it up!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, i have another related question. On the bend when I chose waking activity, every kilometer  i see a number, and i don’t understand what it means- I would appreciate your help 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes