Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low resting heart rate but not "in shape"?

ANSWERED

IMG_0762.PNG

Hi guys. A little background information on me so you all can have an idea. I'm 22 year old,female, I am overweight. I'm 5'4 weighing 178. I've lost weight from 196. 

My resting heart rate is always pretty low when laying down or sitting around? Into the 50's and as low as 44 during sleep:/ kind of scares me because I've read that isn't good unless you're an athlete. 

Im not an athlete nor do I really work out. It will increase with activity and go to 100 or more if running around but slows down pretty fast once resting. 

I've asked my dr and cardiologist they said ekgs came back good just showed some pvcs but that it's Okay for it to be low because I'm young with no other major help problems such as Bp or diabetes. 

Anyways I'm writing all this in hope of opinions or if anyone else experiences this. Would put my mind at ease. 

Thnaks guys. 

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

I have a naturally low RHR (was 30s when at perfect weight and very active a few years ago, now 48-56 mid-overweight range), and so does my brother.  My primary care doctor first checked my thyroid, then sent me to a cardiologist because he couldn't believe how low it was.  The cardiologist said that because no problems were found after a battery of tests and I was not experiencing any of these bradycardia symptoms:

• Near-fainting or fainting (syncope)
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pains
  • Confusion or memory problems
  • Easily tiring during physical activity

that a low RHR was probably normal for me.

The Mayo Clinic advises:

If you faint, have difficulty breathing or have chest pain lasting more than a few minutes, get emergency care or call 911 or your local emergency number. Seek emergency care for anyone with these symptoms.

So know what is normal for you, and know what symptoms to monitor.

Kathy in Joppa, MD
Best Answer

Hoping to ease your mind my husband has a low heart rate too in fact if he totally relaxes his has dipped into low 40s setting off heart monitors (at hospital twice) regardless he is healthy, could lose a few pounds but all in all well. 

Best Answer

Thank you for that! Mine is 55 - 61 and I stopped worrying about it as I feel fine! Glad your husband is in good health too 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AIMS2013Your post conjures up memories for me.. Over the last 5 years I have had a couple of overnight hospital procedures involving anesthetic and in the pre-op all had an ECG before hand. I warned the doctors at the ECG stage I had a RHR like your husband's.  Mine gets down to 43 while asleep.

Early morning the alarm bells went off.. The message wasn't passed on..

Me too.... Healthy but need some weight off....

@AIMS2013 wrote:

Hoping to ease your mind my husband has a low heart rate too in fact if he totally relaxes his has dipped into low 40s setting off heart monitors (at hospital twice) regardless he is healthy, could lose a few pounds but all in all well. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Hi I’m kind of wondering the same thing mine has been around 59-61 the past month and I’m also not “in shape” and overweight, this past week I’ve been doing some more exercise and eating regular quite healthy meals and drinking plenty of water but my RHR has been increasing each day not sure if it’s a bad thing ??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find diet has a huge roll in it. If you are eating proper portions I believe your heart rate also lowers. Just as they say is diet is like 90 percent of the battle and exercise is only like 10 ...that is 100 percent true. 

As for heart rate rising a lot of times I think for women it is our mestrual/ovulation cycles are to blame mostly. 

There are also other factors it can be I am sure but those are bug ones. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
An interesting question. Know what is Normal for You. Have you also
checked your temperature for a possible infection. I refer you to
https://www.livescience.com/resting-heart-rate-varies-widely.html
Kathy in Joppa, MD
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to the Fitbit and was very surprised to learn that my RHR is so low (52-56) and have been concerned that there's a problem, but after finally finding this post I do feel at ease that there may not be an issue at all. I am just going to keep an eye on my balance and see if I have any dizzy spells. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im very grateful for your post.

i also have a RHR at around 58bpm but when sleeping it drops to low 40’s.

When i do have low HR i also feel palpitations so this is ongoing with the GP.

Once a runner of 5km a day i am now worried to continue so much cardio work

Best Answer
0 Votes