Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic stopped working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today, my Fitbit I brought on the 21st of December 2017 stopped working. 

I have tried everything to revive it but to no avail. I just read that it seems many people are having this issue. I am about to go to the store tomorrow to exchange it for a new one but it concerned me that some people have obtained replacements only to have it break as well. I brought the Ionic from Harvey Norman. 

I absolutely loved the smart watch but now I am a little disappointed. My old change 2 has survived treks up volcanos and still is alive and yet the Ionic dies while I am reading. 

I am happy to return it and downgrade for a newer charge 2. I could buy two actually and give one to a friend at the price of the ionic..

Thoughts anyone?

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78

Yes the Ionic is a terribly made product. They won't typically last a year.  There is a faulty seal somewhere causing water to get in a ruin the watch.  It breaks down over time,  this is the reason for the main failures.  It's a piece of junk.  My wife's garmin vivoactive is going strong over three years ...  Fitbit should be ashamed for taking advantage of us.   Karma is going to catch up to them soon enough on this one! You can't screw over your customers with a smile on your face and redundant canned responses before the favor is returned.

I had two die in 13 months,  and both of my friends who bought the Ionic also barely made it a year.

Best Answer
I was on my 3rd by month 6!
Best Answer

That is so very frustrating man,  I can't believe that they are getting away with this at this moment in time.  I've said this in other threads,  I don't think they will get away with it much longer considering the failure rate.   Mine is a couple of months out of warranty right now and staying charged up and in a safe space. 

I have no doubt that even though it's trash right now,  by keeping it,  I think eventually they will have to issue mass refunds or send properly sealed and tested replacements or they might now be in business another year.

Best Answer

Mine just died after a little over 14 months just outside the warranty, so I cannot get a replacement, I was told repeatedly by "customer service" - I was offered a 25% off a new purchase. Does anyone know if they have improved because wearing them in water is one of the better features. If not, what have people bought?

Best Answer

Unfortunately I purchased my ionic in October 2017 so Fitbit was unwilling to replace.  Very disappointed, the Ionic is too expensive to just replace each year.  It seems if there is a problem with the device just stopping with so many people they should replace.  No more fitbits for me, this was my 4th version but I'm done.

Best Answer

Register me as one more non functioning Ionic owner. I didn’t use mine for a few weeks (just sat on the dresser the whole time) and so I threw it on the charger and it never came to life. Tried everything possible and called tech support. They offered me the same thing, 25% on the new hr (I think) or 40% off an Ionic. I refused to take this so they have escalated it up and I will know what solution will be offered on Monday. 

I’m a shareholder with this company and this device has been a giant disappointment. 

Best Answer

Me too I am in the crappy club! I got mine as an Xmas gift December 2017. A few months later it died. They sent me a replacement. That didn’t even make it one year and it died. I called but the one year warranty only covers from the date of the original purchase. They offered me 25% off. I have been with Fitbit for years!! Been through the different ones as new ones came out. I was soooooo dissapointed at this. Went back to using my surge, which is superglued on the inside because the band separated AGAIN! They have a very accurate product that just lacks in quality and endurance. They really should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of their customers. 

Best Answer

Mine too, just stopped working after I cleaned it a bit. Got it for my birthday last December and have not taken it off since. Does not even reset... I’ll be contacting customer service tomorrow...

Best Answer
Good luck! If you are one second past the warranty they will only offer you a 25% discount on a new one.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hello Everyone 

I just joined the community. I purchased my iconic last February. Used it for a bit then put it away. 

This past February I brought it back out. It has worked great, I loved it!! 

Now, nothing. Won’t turn on, won’t charge, won’t communicate with my phone.. 

this is bad!! I paid 299.00 for it and never even got a year of service out of it.. 

Since it won’t turn on I cannot reset it it.

please help?? I cannot afford to buy another 

Best Answer

Have tried all day. Customer service guy informed me they would give 25% discount. Why would I buy another Ionic? Now afraid of all Fitbit products. Switching to Samsung Galaxy Watch. What to do with this doorstop, though?

Best Answer

Ionic was working one day and the next day nothing worked...it won't turn on. Dead! Might as well have a funeral and bury it. Today customer service offered the same 25% discount offered to others. Nah. No thanks.

Best Answer
Soooo I do love my Fitbit and swore I would never buy another because of this but...I went on eBay got a new Iconic (bezel only) and added the 2 year protection plan. So fit bit can shove it! I also saved over $160 so ha!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I'm sure you tried already, but contact customer support. Same thing happened to me but only after 4-months of service. While they were quick in replacing my watch (I received within 2-days), it was a refurbished model. I am confident that this too will not last the year. If they offer a replacement at  25% off, I'll just apply this to the Samsung Gear and see how my luck holds out with that.

I think it's disgraceful that a watch of this price and caliber is so feeble. 

Best Answer

That is my next step after this replacement konks out.

Best Answer
Oh I certainly did and got offered 25% my issue was the fact this was the refurbished one they had sent me to replace my new one that only lasted a month or so. The refurbished one lasted less than a year but they went off the original purchase date of the new one. They cannot back the quality of their new or refurbished products!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My 18 month old ionic, which I have had to reset a few times in that times due to occasional glitches has completely spat the dummy out, with regard to battery life... it fully charges fine then drains to dead within 4-5 hours... And now to add insult to injury the HR monitor has packed in also! I have been conversing with the support team for days and days and they just keep repeating the same thing over and over and trying to tell me to update the firmware when it is running the latest one, and no updates are available... I am furious that a £250 watch can be so unreliable, and the support completely useless! I chose the ionic for the multi sports including swimming and the gps, and because I like the Fitbit platform, but this is completely unacceptable and I see many reports of this random battery drain, so there is clearly a problem. I will be sharing my reviews as I find this whole situation completely unacceptable...

Best Answer

Mine did the same. I got the it back to clock but I don't trust it. Did you do a pool swim or an open water swim? 

Best Answer

I have done both with the watch on, but recently, regular pool swims, twice a week. Is that the problem do we think? Not really waterproof after all?

Best Answer
Hey there...Don't swim or use around water😊Earline~704.302.5656~Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy
Best Answer